Sunday, April 15, 2007

Another Brownie update and a sock

Here's a picture of Brownie. You can see the cats have ruined the chair seats. I had that fabric for years and redid the chairs a few years ago. I'm going to Ikea to buy new chairs that have removable, washable pillows. These chairs are very badly made, and I understand why the previous owner left them at the house. At the time that was ok with me and Keith, but almost every one of them has come apart. If you see them at the street in front of our house, save yourself the trouble and don't pick them up. I hate to send them to the landfill, but I bet even Goodwill wouldn't want them.



First of all, Brownie went back to the vet on Thursday for more bloodwork. We had to see if the meds are working. They are, but not well enough yet. I received a phone call from the vet with the results at 9:00 am yesterday to tell me that she needs tapazole twice a day instead of once a day. I'll have to get up at least 1/2 an hour earlier to take care of all the cat doctoring! And Brownie had lost weight since she was there 3 weeks ago. The poor cat weighs 5 1/2 pounds! I stuff food into her all day long, but I can't leave it out while we're gone because of this...


This is Monster, weighing in at 17 pounds. (She's freshly shaved in this picture. She has very luxurious long fur that she currently can't groom very well, and she's a bigtime biter who doesn't tolerate brushing for very long.) Keith and I have to referee every single meal to make sure Brownie eats and Monster doesn't overeat. The vet suggested no more dry food in the house to help Monster lose weight. Not a problem! The kitties are loving the canned stuff, but it doesn't have all the carbs of kibble, so they are hungry more often. Oy vey!

Secondly, I turned in my application to work at the vet's office on my days off from the knit shop. These vet bills are costing me a pretty penny, and honestly I've been thinking I either needed to find another job that paid more or add another part time job. I enjoy working at the knit shop, but the jobs that are more fun pay a lot less than the ones that aren't as fun and are more stressful. I mentioned this to the boss, (about working somewhere else on the off days) just in case the vet's office called for a reference, and she offered me another day at the shop. I took it. After all, that is for certain while I have to wait and see if the vet's office wants me to work the front desk. I may still take a day at the vet's just to see what it's like there behind the scenes.
On to knitting. I tried working on the cable wrap earlier this week, and quite frankly, I've had enough. Sometimes knitting projects need to go on vacation while another one comes to the forefront. I picked up the sock I was working on and voila!


A finished sock! This one worked up much more quickly than the ones I've done in the past. Part of it (a large part) was this pattern makes a much shorter cuff that the others I've done. Also, the heel flap and gusset worked up more quickly than the machined looking short row heel. Granted, I love the way the other heel works up, but this was so much faster, at least for me. I started to immediately cast on for the second sock, but it was after 11:00 pm, and Doctor Who was too engrossing. I couldn't count the cast on stitches correctly, so I gave up to watch the Doctor. The ones we are watching (since I just won't pay for cable or satellite - I'd much rather spend that much cash on books) are the ones that PBS has just picked up with Christopher Eccleston. I never watched much Doctor Who when I was a kid, but we've thoroughly enjoyed the few we've seen of the new series so far. I am a bit upset that PBS dumped Red Dwarf and Black Adder for the Doctor, but since I have almost all of Red Dwarf on DVD, I can live with it.

Really, no other news on the home front right now, which is a large part of no blogging this week. I've been a bit too tired for much knitting with going to the gym. After yoga on Wed night I couldn't move as well on Thursday, then I missed the next couple of mornings due to oversleeping in the morning. As I told Honi, each day and even each meal gives you a chance to make sound food and exercise choices, so I won't get too upset with myself for this lapse. Changing habits is a very difficult thing for anyone to do and gives us all an opportunity to practice patience and forgiveness with ourselves (two more things that are difficult for most humans). So I stayed up too late, overslept and didn't go to the gym. Today is a new day, and there is an 1 1/2 hour yoga class tonight.
And that's all for now. Time for the usual Sunday morning breakfast, especially since it's now 9:31, and Keith is finally up and moving.

No comments: