Sunday, March 21, 2010

So much fun!

I went to a drag show last night that was a fundraiser for the Dixie Bowling League and American Cancer Society.

I'd never been to one before last night. It wasn't from lack of wanting to go. More from lack of friends who'd go with me, and not enough nerve to head out to one by myself. Especially as back in the day (the 80's) most of the clubs were in the types of neighborhoods where it wouldn't be safe for me to head out by myself. So not entirely lack of nerves. There was some good sense involved too.

However, I've always wanted to go, especially after watching Tim Curry over and over in The Rocky Horror Picture Show and watching La Cage aux Folles. When a friend said that a coworker would be in this show, and it was for charity, I leapt at the chance.

I had a blast. We got there early, as we had been instructed to do, so we were on the second row, right in front of the stage. Although I had brought my knitting, as did Hali, it was too dark to knit and almost too loud to talk while we were waiting. When I'd looked up the club online before leaving, I saw that it was in the location formerly known as The Chamber. The Chamber had been a leather and fetish club, so I must admit that I didn't know what to expect. Would we stand out like the suburbanites we were? Fish way out of water? I'll admit to a certain amount of relief to see we weren't the only ones there. In fact, I was now almost disappointed that the crowd looked so normal.

Soon enough the show started, opening with Sister Chlamydia and some naughty nuns singing about fellatio while a pregnant, smoking nun ran around collecting donations.

I spent the next 2 hours mostly laughing while occasionally wishing I'd thought to bring ear plugs to soften up the piercing music of all those wailing divas whose music they used. While I know the music I prefer would not do drag well at all, sometimes the music that does is a little annoying. I'll know better for their next fundraiser, because I'm going (as long as I can get some of my friends to go. I probably shouldn't be roaming around that area alone at night either.)

Afterwards we looked for dinner. One must remember when leaving suburbia that people actually go to restaurants after 8:00 p.m. In suburbia, even on a Saturday night, you can go into a restaurant after 8:30 and get a table most of the time. Of course, as I've mentioned before, we rarely go out on Saturday nights anyway. Why mess with mobs when you can go out on a different night? We tried 2 restaurants before deciding to just get pizza. It's too bad really, as I had wanted to go someplace a little fancier with incredible food, but lets' face it - pizza is always good.

Hmm, a post with no pictures. I'll post some later. I've got some I need to take still to share with you. I'm almost finished with my Citron shawl. I've started on section 8 (giggle). Section 8 always makes me think of Klinger, and who could be more appropriate to think about after a drag show?

No comments: