Monday, February 19, 2007

40 degrees and yardwork

Today was the first day in about a week that it's been warmish here. We've been having our 1 week of winter for 2007, and it looks like spring will be here by week's end. By 9:30 today it was around 40 F outside which is plenty warm enough to do a bit of long needed yardwork. About once a year I tackle the granite stones that line the street along our yard. The grass grows over the tops of them making the yard look somewhat unkempt. I usually trim back my butterfly bushes in late Feb or early March, but with all the warm temps, it's almost too late to do it. Those were my tasks today. We had lots of sunshine and dry air. It was one of those days that we don't have too often with clear skies and low, low humidity. Needless to say, I was soon in a t-shirt even though the thermometer said 48 F. The yard looks slightly more groomed. I have a rosebush that is terrifying. It is covered with long, sharp thorns that look like big cat claws. It's a climbing, spreading rose that has been trying to take over the entire island where it is. It can wait until tomorrow.

I returned the trap today to Lifeline Animal Project. I had read somewhere that most cats, once they've been trapped, usually don't get trapped again. The woman I spoke to said some of the trappers keep trapping the same cats over and over again. (Apparently some cats never learn) That's a relief because one of the kittens had been trapped and escaped when I was attempting to feed it. I tried for 4 days to trap it with no luck.

I am so close to being finished with Keith's first sock tonight. I'll have the knitting completed, but I'm closing the toe by Kitchener stitching it together. This will create a toe that appears seamless if it's done properly. I'll have him model it and post it soon.

One more observation. Spending 30 minutes at 3 mph on the treadmill at the gym is no preparation to a 20 minute walk on asphalt with a hyper dog. I blew off the gym this morning to walk Sassy and do yardwork instead. Keith has taken her jogging some, so she pulled my out of shape a** the entire walk. I see I definitely need to hit that window tomorrow when the working people have left and before all the retirees show up to use the equipment.

Can you tell I'm trying really hard not to turn this into a knitting blog? My head is buzzing with what project can I start next? I do have another sock on the needles, I'll need to start the second sock of Keith's pair, but do I want to start on the cabled tank for me or Jesse's Flames for Keith? (Tank top will win out - less work, and I'll be able to wear it long before it gets cold enough for him to wear his wool sweater).

No comments: