Sunday, February 25, 2007

A true addiction

I've been reading Mason Dixon Knitting for several months now, and those two gals met on a Rowan message board. Rowan Yarns - what is it about them? In the past, they were a bit difficult to get here in Atlanta. Apparently they have rules about distances between shops that could carry them, opening order amounts, and all that. I had not been seduced by Rowan.

That changed last summer when I went on a shop crawl with my boss to check out the competition. I've reached an age where I appreciate simple, classic clothing. Quite honestly, I may admire a 40 or 50 year old woman who wants to wear something that shows off all her many tattoos - I admire her guts, not her fashion sense, but I know that I would look as ridiculous in a get up like that as she does. So when I picked up Kim Hargreaves Summer Tweed Collection pattern book, I was hooked. Most of these are basic sweaters that are pretty timeless. And Summer Tweed - a blend of 70% silk and 30% cotton. I have had sweaters out of silk cotton blends before. I know they don't hold their shape as well as something with some wool in them, but that never stopped me from literally wearing them to death. I would only give them away as they either fell apart or no longer fit me. I started to look for Summer Tweed online.

Online, you say. But Eve, you work in a LYS, why not support one of those? Mainly because I feel no real compunction to support my competition, especially when I can find colors I like on sale online. I am nearly finished with Basil, a long sleeved, V-neck Summer Tweed sweater. This morning while perusing MDK, I followed some of the links to an online shop, then wondered about another one that I had heard was having a sale. There I found another color of Summer Tweed, marked down 40%. Butterball, a nice pale neutral color. Thyme will soon be on the project list. Thyme is a cardigan knit in basketweave.

Yes, I know you need pictures to see all these things. Bear with me as I learn the vagaries of blogging. I have worked extra days this week, and being no longer 23, I find I'm pretty tired at the end of the day. Add to that hitting the gym and walking Sassy this past week, and I've been going to sleep much earlier that I would like (except for the 2 nights I unfortunately found documentaries on lake monsters and the CIA's Project Stargate on PBS)

More later. I hear Keith finally up and moving which means the Sunday Pancake Breakfast will soon commence.

No comments: