Wednesday, February 21, 2007

What not to watch...


when knitting. We all have that actor or actress we can't take our eyes off of. Who know? It may be Cary Grant or Michelle Pfeiffer or Malcolm MacDowell. For me it's been vintage 1980's beefcake thanks to year end sales and DVD discount bins. I've been watching Kurt "Call me Snake" Russell and Arnold. (Translation - Escape from New York, Big Trouble in Little China and The Running Man) And thanks to them I have some tinking (unknitting) to do. I finished Keith's sock while watching Running Man and found myself wondering about some extra stitches that were supposed to have been used up. This is the one with 11 stitches per inch, so I'm not thrilled about undoing it. However, I will always wonder about it, and at least I learn from my mistakes, so undo it I shall.

There are some amazing knitters out there. I'm talking the kind that no longer have to look at their work at all. I know one who knits mega fast on size 3 (pretty tiny) needles while looking all around and acting like a junior high kid with some of the snarky comments. She can continue to knit while dozing off (or so I've heard). Perhaps someday I'll get there, but I lack the confidence to boldly knit ahead too far without looking. I've done a bit too much ripping out.

I will admit that not all of my ripping out has been from checking out beefcake in action movies. I do have a most able assistant, the very spoiled 16 year old Scooter who thinks my lap is often the best place in the entire house to sleep. Who cares if I'm in the middle of a row? He is sure that his comfort is my only concern. For the most part, he is right. He was feeling puny a few months ago, and I convinced Keith to let him stay and sleep with us. We normally have to keep the cats out since they need petting and feeding at 3 am, then 5 am, with the real breakfast at 6:30. I could tell that Scooter was not feeling well at all since he let me sleep almost the entire night. Luckily now he is back to his youthful self the few hours of the day that are spent awake. The picture above is Scooter with his shadow, Grey (aka Princess Plumeria).
Wow, sounds like I need to get a life. After being at work all day, checking out all the new yarns as I either enter them into our inventory system or get them out on the shelves, it's hard to get out of the knitting mode. I'm around yarn and knitters all day long on the days I'm at work, and I spend more of my time off with knitters too. In some ways it seems like a cult. The yarn stores, both local and online, happily take my money. We speak our own lanquage of SSK and PSSO. My nonknitting family doesn't always know what to think when I whip out something to work on when we're out to dinner. I can no longer just sit and watch TV. I think the hardest part though is the choice do I knit or read P.D. James latest book? I haven't switched to audio books yet because I do love the printed word. And having a knitting project in the car makes the sometimes abysmal Atlanta traffic bearable. After all, if it takes 30 minutes to go one block, you might as well work on that sock.
More later...

No comments: