Saturday, May 19, 2007

Wild, wildlife

First of all, Mom's trip to the cath lab went fine. She had the excitement afterwards when the leg artery they used sprung a leak. She got to stay in the hospital another day while they got the bleeding under control and made sure there was no additional damage. Her heart is fine.

I wanted to talk about where we live for a minute. We grew up in the 70's when the natural environment was still under the effects of things like DDT. There are many more raptors and other birds around now, which quite frankly thrills me. It still thrills me even when I can't get much sleep due to this. (click here) Yes, we have an owl. Every year we have owls that migrate through our neighborhood. Few stay for long, or it could be that with the storm windows and a/c we just don't hear them except for a few weeks during the spring and fall. Last night the owl was not too close, but for several nights this week he or she has been in the trees right across the street. The ones facing the open bedroom windows. We've gone to sleep listening to the hooting, and when I woke up at 2 am the other night, the owl was still going at it.

As for this morning there were other birds I've rarely ever seen. Bluebirds. Not just bluebirds, but an adult feeding a juvenile in my driveway. Behind my van. When I needed to be leaving for work. Just how do you drive off bluebirds? I slowly walked towards them and the van. I would have loved to stay and watch, but I really shouldn't be late either. When I got home today, one of the adult bluebirds landed on the birdfeeder and ignored me as I walked about 8 feet away from it. Wow, I just love it.

On the way to work I saw a redtailed hawk soaring overhead, and a redheaded woodpecker swoop across the road. I wonder if any of the other drivers ever notice what is going on around them, or is it just me since I watch birds all the time that I see those fleeting glimpses of color and recognize them for what they are?

Have fun listening to the owl call. Play it over and over again, maybe 50 or 100 times at a decent volume and get a feel for what lulls us to sleep at night.

Have a great rest of your weekend.

No comments: