Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Crazy from the heat

Oh yes, we're all a bit wierd here right now. My lovely digital thermometer shows a high today of 103.1 F. No wonder we're all going nuts.

Pixel, Brownie's sister, is a very spry 18 years old. She went outside on Monday with apparently no intention of coming back into the house. I saw her briefly on Monday when she showed up for dinner, then disappeared again. She was outside at breakfast yesterday, then vanished until dinner. Now, to be honest, I have tried to catch her, but she is not a cooperative cat. She doesn't like to be held, and has clawed the heck out of me on more than one occasion. So this morning I fed her breakfast and left to go to work. However, this evening I had more time to fool with the cat. She also appeared while it was still daylight, a major factor in catching things. I gave her some kibble which it looks like she barely nibbled. What she wanted were treats. While plying her with kitty treats I was able to manuever between her and the van. I made the lightning fast snatch and had her. She's meowing and wriggling and trying to claw me while I'm trying to hold her fast and grab her back feet before I'm horribly wounded. (I currently have some long claw marks that I think may scar on my right forearm. One is about 3" long). She's inside again now, but only until she escapes over the weekend. I asked Keith if he thought maybe the house is too cold for her old bones. At an average of 78 F it doesn't ever feel cold to me, but to a cat who has been basking in over 100 degree temps for the past 3 days, maybe that is cold.

Next is my knitting error. I'm having to fiddle around with the pattern for the sweater for Keith. Last night I cast on 238 stitches, joined and started knitting the pattern for 4 rows. Yeah! The count is correct. However, I totally forgot to do the rows of ribbing I had planned to do at the bottom! Let's see. 4 rows X 238 stitches = 952 stitches that I get to undo. I plan to put another needle around the bottom row and rip back to the cast on. I am not pleased about this. I wonder if my brain hadn't been roasting all day for the past several weeks if I would have remembered to do my edge ribbing.

One of our customers mentioned that her son lives in Pennsylvania. He said their temp was 47 degrees the other night and it was raining. That sounds like bliss right now. I could wear a sweater. Heck, at 47 degrees I'd be tempted to sleep with the window open. It's been so bloody hot here!

That's really about all. I wanted to vent about the heat and the sweater, and just think about Pixel on virtual paper. I do know that sometimes pets go off when it's time to die, but since Pixel is showing up for meals I don't think that's the issue. One of the younger, more active kitties has been feeling cabin feverish and wild, so maybe there's just been too much goin's on for Pixel.

Hurry up autumn! The days are getting shorter! Drop our temps soon!

1 comment:

Honi said...

OHH boy I am right there in the heat with you.. today it was 104 at my office.. I am so sick of this.. all the heat manages to do is make the ants .. come inside.. we have had a terrible time at the office with ants... I am so hoping that in November we have cool weather... no Indian summer... good luck with the kitty... our doggies have been spending most of their time indoors because of the heat... More from animalville.. last night I was driving home after working out... Steve was behind me on the bike.. he had met me at the gym.. we were drivng home.. it was shortly after 8pm... At first I thought it was a puppy but it was a fawn.. a tiny.. fawn .. maybe even just a couple days old.. wandering in the street.. walking very wobbly and slowly.. we crested the hill.. Steve blinked his lights at the oncoming driver. but I dont think he paid attention... I wanted to go back so bad Eve. I wanted to scoop that little fawn up.. and put it in one of our dog crates and take it to the vet ... this morning... on my way to work.. I saw what I had expected to see.. the little thing had been run over.. it did not even get a chance.. I have a feeling it was an orphan .. I can not imagine it mother wandering across that busy street and just leaving it to fend for itself.. up the road a ways.. I saw a doe that had been hit too... so who knows.. I figured the bigger deer was too far away from the fawn to have been its mother.. I dont know.. it was just sad.. Steve did not even want to talk about it..Sometimes there is simply nothing u can do.. even if I had stopped it would have been too late.. I am pretty sure that car cresting over the hill going fairly fast.. hit it... oh well.. on to more cheerier things.. stay cool