Wednesday, August 8, 2007

The heat is on...

a.k.a. just some weather data. Yesterday the high temp at my house was 100.2 F. Today it reached 101.7F. We have a computerized thermostat, being energy conscious. It goes down to 78 around 5:00 p.m., unless one of us has been home during the day and turned it down earlier. It's 9:09 p.m. now, and it's still 81F in the house. I wouldn't mind the Arizona temps if we had the same low humidity. It's like a stinking steambath here with the ozone and pollution.

I went out to check the birdbath and wildlife water dishes this evening. It's really quite funny how both the birds and feral cats keep a lookout for me. Ok, it's not just ferals. One of the neighbors has a senior cat. Her husband won't let the cat in the house, but she lets him in when hubby isn't home. The rest of the time the cat keeps an eye out for me in the yard. He's a grumpy old mooch who is quite happy to see me refill the food dish. As for the birds, they have been fussing a bit since the suet feeder is empty. The downy woodpeckers have actually been lowering their standards and eating at the sunflower feeder. I think the suet would melt in this weather, or go rancid in no time. The funny part is if the feeder is empty, the chickadees and titmice (sp) raise a lot of hell if I go outside and don't fill it. They don't have much fear of me, as one of the nuthatches landed on the feeder mere minutes after I had refilled it, and I was only about 4 feet away.

With these extreme temperatures, I haven't seen any of the blue tailed skinks lately. On the plus side that means I won't find lizard tails in the house until it cools off again. I don't have the same experience catching lizards since we haven't had them around here until just a few years ago. I think is was the summer of Katrina when we started seeing a lot of lizards around the yard. Even 2 years ago the old kitties were still hunting a little, but not like the days of their youth when I could count on finding live chipmunks and snakes in the house. I'm an old pro at catching chipmunks and the occasional snake, but lizards are more elusive. I had one lizard catching attempt back in the spring which ended when the lizard darted outside on its own. I do miss seeing them in the yard while I don't miss seeing their tailless selves darting under furniture.

I don't know if I wrote that I finished the UT blanket last night. I had reached the point where I was tired of working on it, and it was a good size. I'll take a picture before I send it off.

I had planned to work on MS3 tonight, but it's getting late and there were goodies in the mail. Magazines and catalogs and patterns and yarn, oh my! It's been so lovely tonight with no tv, just the soothing whoosh of the a/c. I did just finish Wolf to the Slaughter by Ruth Rendell last night. Don't start it unless you can read it through! And before you think I merely read tales of murder and vampires, I must admit to an impending dig through all my paperbacks to find Beowulf. I read part of it while taking Old English in college, then this translation came out several years ago. It's wonderful. This modern English version has the cadence of the old. And you will recognize some of the names within - just compare it to The Lord of the Rings for fun.

On that note I bid you goodnight.

No comments: