Thursday, October 29, 2009

Coyote!

We saw our very first coyote on our street today! I saw it trotting around in the yard across the street, so I yelled in a very ladylike way, "Keith, what the hell is that?!"

Dear Keith. He says that it's a fox. I'm thinking no way is that a fox. That's a coyote, and I just need you to agree with me so I know I'm not hallucinating. Luckily, pictures of foxes and coyotes are quite easy to find on the Internet, and he soon agreed that it was a coyote.

Our kitties don't know it yet, but they have just become indoor only cats. I know they are used to using my vegetable garden as a litter box, and I'd honestly rather have to keep moving where I plant the edibles instead of scooping kitty litter, but I also want them in one cranky, furry, living piece and not on a coyotes dinner plate.

As for the coyote, it was probably thinking "what the hell?" itself. We were standing there, watching it. It took off running up the street until we couldn't see it. I knew it was only a matter of time before they were here in my neighborhood. Daphne, who lives about 6 miles away, has seen them in her neighborhood for the past few years. My only gripe about coyotes around here really is the whole inside/outside cat thing. I see buying or building one of those outside cat playgrounds in my future. Why can't I see that winning lottery ticket in my future?

2 comments:

Janice in GA said...

I dunno. I see foxes less than a mile from downtown Norcross pretty regularly.

But they're red like you'd expect foxes to be, and look more like very large cats with very fluffy tails than dogs.

I'm always tickled to see a fox, but I don't have outside cats either.

Kyoko said...

Foxes are big time predator for wild rabbit here. Kitties get attacked too! Never seen a Coyote before though in my real life!!
My neighbour downstairs used to feed the wild fox...