Friday, March 23, 2007

Brief update

We had a fabulous time at the Helen Black Bear Resort. We stayed in cabin 14 if you want to go look on their website and check it out. What they don't show you in the pictures is that the bedroom has a dormer window in it which faces east. There is no way to block out the light, so if your bedroom at home is like ours (very dark since I bought blackout shades) you may find it a little bright for sleeping. Even so, we slept like logs after hitting the hot tub.

I did some online research today since Brownie's eye is no better than it was last week. What I found made me call the vet right away. I've thought she may have a hyperthyroid condition since she wants to eat all the time. It looks like I'm right about that. The dilated eye may be from hypertension. Great. I have a 17 1/2 year old partially deaf, slightly senile cat who now has high blood pressure and a too active thyroid. You know what that means. Huge vet bill. We did have a baseline blood panel done 2 years ago, so I have a minimum idea of what tomorrow will cost. I made sure to go pick up my paycheck today since I'm sure Loving Touch will get a very large piece of it. However, Brownie is one of my first cats, and I realized today just how much I would miss her. Not the 2 a.m. yowling, but seeing her reminds me of her prime when she would stay out all night and bring home dead baby rabbits. How she was the terror of the squirrels and chipmunks. Frankly I think squirrels can be tricky to catch, but sometimes she would bring home 3 or 4 in a week. I always thought she would be an amazing barn cat. And even now though she sleeps an awful lot, just let another kitty bring a bird into the house and you should see how she perks up. I'll let you know tomorrow how the visit went. I will admit she does have some other bothersome/disturbing behaviors, so I do dread tomorrow's vet visit for much more that just the cost. Long term medication, monthly blood panels, the thrill of stuffing an uncooperative cat into a carrier, and once or twice they've had to muzzle her! I don't think we're at the point where it will be her final vet visit, but I am worried. Keep your fingers crossed for us.

1 comment:

Honi said...

I sure do hope Brownie is okay.. but .. since our animals are part of our family we do all we can to keep them around... Baz is fine.. he has gone back to his old ways of gnawing on the grill brush..no matter where we hide it he finds it.. and trying to keep any toy , bone or other play toy away from Cookie .. who is very sly.. and manages to hide all bones, toys, spatulas, boxes of matches, hmm anything she can find.. under the deck.. so if you ever lose anything come to my house.. chances are Our Cookie has hidden it.. I think she is part crow.. we already know she is part cat... you will have to come and watch her.. she likes to rub up against you and if you are sitting down either with your legs up or you are outside on a patio chair she will walk under the chair and between your legs to get her back rubbed.. she is a freaky little thing.. but one fo the most intelligent animals I know.. You tell her to go retrieve her, rope, frisbee, bone.. and she goes and gets you exactly what you want... Baz just stares at you.. as if to say.. YEAH RIGHT.. lol..