Saturday, March 24, 2007

Brownie update #1

Well, we spent a long time at the vet today. Apparently we were the last appointment, so we had to wait while all the ones in front of us finished up. And poor Dr. Zook. I think she's wonderful, but when she finally got to see us (nearly an hour later than our scheduled time), she had a problem cat on her hands. They really do try to take a cat's blood pressure much like a human's, but when you've got a nervous cat who is angrily yowling, it's pretty difficult. I left the room since I was getting anxious and wondered if my anxiety was affecting Brownie. When I can back in they had a towel over her head (it helped to calm her and prevent biting). Dr. Zook took blood and ran a quick blood panel there at the office. For the thyroid test, the blood gets sent out (to UGA, I think). She wasn't sure about the hypertenstion. It may be part of the hyperthyroidism. Some of the other things they look at were high. Her kidney and liver were both a little high. Dr. Zook warned me that once we get the thyroid under control, I may have a cat with kidney failure. Anyway, I'll get a phone call confirming the hyperthyroidism on Wed, and she'll call in a prescription at the human pharmacy. Too bad insurance won't cover that. I am in fear of what that will cost. In the meantime Brownie has Chinese herbs to take twice a day and a liquid supplement with amino acids, vitamins and minerals. The herbs don't smell that great, but I think she'll take the supplement with no trouble since it seems to be meat flavored.

Yes, still no pics. I have to get ready for the class I'm teaching tomorrow. As of last Saturday, no one was signed up. I called yesterday to see if I'd had anyone in it yet. I have enough to teach it. It's called "Circs don't bite", and I'm teaching how to use circular needles and double pointed needles. It's a techniques class so people won't panic when they read that a project is worked in the round.

And that's all for now, folks!

No comments: