Sunday, March 4, 2007

Trapper Eve

It's a new month, and time to rent traps again for TNR. Keith and I woke up around 3:45 am on Saturday morning. We lay in bed, wondering why we were both up when we heard it again. The yowl of a horny male cat on the prowl. We listened to him as he probably sprayed the tires of our cars, rolled around in the catnip for a bit, and wandered off. Poor guy, I've spayed his girlfriend. Now, it's time to get him. Tomorrow I'll go rent a couple of traps and see if I can get him and the cunning kitten who has eluded capture. This time I'll take pictures.

Last night I finished the arms of my Summer Tweed sweater, Basil. All I have left to do is the "finishing". This is where I sew all the pieces together, then wash the sweater. I am somewhat reluctant to do this as I'm planning to take a finishing class at the end of next month. On the other hand, I really want to wear this sweater. I really love the silk/cotton blend. While I think about it, the sweater pieces are resting in the yarn closet. I'm starting to find the yarn closet really scary. I've reached the point now where I don't/can't remember what all is in there, so I see yarn and think, oh yeah, what about that project.

I've pulled out the yarn for a project I bought last May, but was not ready to tackle yet. It is a cable/lace tank top from the spring/summer 06 Family Circle Easy Knitting. I've got the experience now with some basic lace and a lot of cables. I will start that top in a day or two. In this past week I've finished Keith's first sock (see yesterday's post), ripped out a sock that didn't fit, started a new sock for me, finished the sleeves on the sweater, grafted a scarf for a customer and taught the cables class at work. I decided to take a quick break and do something very easy and use up some of the "what was I thinking?" yarn in my stash. I have one ball of sport weight Saucy cotton yarn, so I decided to knock out a stoma cover. I'm a little fuzzy on this. I thought it was for tracheotomy patients, but I think it's for laryngectomy patients. Regardless, they are covers for people who have had holes cut into their throats for medical reasons. The Atlanta Knitting Guild collects them for Grady Hospital. All a stoma cover is is a small bit of knitting, worn sort of like a bib, to cover the hole. One thing I do like is being able to use a hobby that usually brings me relaxation to do some good for the world. AKG has a lot of knitting charity projects. Last year I did 7 chemo caps for the store where I work. I've not done any yet this year, but the year is early. What is amazing is how many people feel that way too. We have women come in with 20-30 chemo caps that they've knitted or crocheted. That's so wonderful, and every little bit helps - whether it is one cap or 20. We get an incredible amount of single caps too. It's a great way to use up that last ball of yarn or try a new one out.

Sorry to go on and on about knitting.

The other major thing I'm about to tackle besides cat trapping is prepping the garden beds. I've been lazy the past couple of years, and my puny tomato plants proved that. I'm thinking of installing some tall perennials near the street and extending my veggie garden. We're planning to raise the area instead of digging in this lovely red clay soil. That means a trip to Home Depot to pick up some soil. In my old garden bed area, I just have to add some amendments and dig them in. (I get to learn about soil testing.) Keith wants to use the rototiller, but it's a small enough area that I think we can tackle it with garden forks. That would also replace going to the gym since turning a 12'x12' area with forks while adding compost and amendments would work both arms and legs. This would also be a workout that can be accompanied by a cold beer or cider. I have to work out what we're planting this year. Probably some of the staples we always have good luck with - tomatoes, beans, cucumbers.

Poor Keith. He's still in bed. Yesterday he spent 3 hours meeting with a prospective client. Then he went to work, and I had told him that he had dinner duty. I knew I would most likely be later than normal, not to mention tired, and sometimes he heads home early on Saturdays. You have to remember that a lot of weeks he works 6 days, so he's allowed to have a short Saturday. One thing about giving Keith dinner duty is that at least 50% of the time that means pizza. Last weekend he cooked up a pork loin and made a huge salad, so the times it's not pizza it's usually quite healthy. Last night ended up being jalapeno poppers, salad and pizza. hmmm. See, we do need to turn that garden bed with forks to work off dinner!

Sassy's barking to come back in. She thinks if she's outside for more that 15 minutes we've forgotten her, so she starts woofing. A gentle reminder that she's not an outside dog, in spite of incredibly lovely weather, but should instead be sleeping on her pillow where she can keep an ear open for the sound of cat food in the kitchen. After all, she won't let anyone, cat or human, near her dish, but the cat dishes are hers too. The vet has gently suggested that we feed her green beans for lowfat fiber and to fill her up along with smaller portions of dogfood since she looks somewhat like a seal. You know it's bad when your neighbor, who has known her since she was a pup, says "Sassy, you're looking a bit fat." Actually she's lost some weight due to green beans, smaller portions, and going to walks/runs with Keith. That said, she wants in, and who am I to disobey the whims of a pet?

Faithfully serving the domestic pet overlords...

No comments: