Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Mistaken Identity

I have to say that Lifeline Animal Project is pretty wonderful. The cat I trapped yesterday, well, it turned out to be someones pet. LAP called me immediately to let me know that it had already been neutered, and he was happily eating a can of Fancy Feast! Of course I ran back, picked him up and released him almost as soon as I opened the van door!

I must admit that I had my doubts about this cat. I was looking to trap 2 specific cats, and this one didn't look much like either one. However, yesterday I convinced myself that it must be one of the ones I wanted, or even it wasn't, it would need to be neutered. This morning I knew for sure that it wasn't the dad cat since he was over here rolling in the catnip and scrapping with Grey.

Keith is such a doubting Thomas too. When I catch a cat, the first thing he asks is what if it's someones pet? This is a difficulty for me. How can I tell if a cat is a pet if there is no collar or tag? I'm not about to pick up and check a strange cat for surgery scars. And none of my cats, who spend most of their life sleeping on my bed, sofa or kitchen table, have collars or tags since they are rarely outside. Their life as naked cats is ending. True, they barely wander at all anymore, but what if they did? Petsmart, here I come.

Anyway, I'll be back to trapping this afternoon. I still have 2 feral cats (that I know of) to go, and I'd like to get them altered before kitten season is in full swing. 2 cats are easier to catch than another whole litter of them.

No comments: