Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Life goes on.

I had thought about calling this one the Good, the Bad and the Ugly, but I'll save that one for another post.


The good news. Honi has set a date for her wedding. A big Mazel Tov is in order for her. I know she's excited about it all. I read her blog about dress shopping and such, and boy, am I glad it's not me.


The bad/sad news. Paige's mom died last week. She had ovarian cancer, but had decided not to treat it. She was able to stay in her home on the Cahaba River. There is a lot to be said for quality of life, especially when one has a terminal disease. Rather than compare her last months with Dolores' (who also died from ovarian cancer), I'll say the things I remember about her instead. I was unable to attend the memorial service since we're short staffed at work (vacation times for people). When I was young, I thought Beth, Paige's mom, was wonderful and strange at the same time. First of all, they always had all sorts of pets. Coming from a pet deprived household due to allergies of some family members, I always liked being over there where you didn't know what animals you might see. One time she had baby ducks inside her flannel shirt so they could stay warm! Also, they went camping. For awhile they had a big Winnebago in the driveway for their travels. I just remember that going to Paige's would always have an chance for some adventure that was outside of what my family experienced. After all, my folks took us antiqueing on the weekends. With Paige, there was the chance of something more wild.


The ugly? None, that's why I'm saving the title. Perhaps the knitting which has all been baby related these past couple of weeks. Definitely not for us. I am teaching a knitting class next month (if anyone signs up) where we'll put together a baby sweater. I feel quite strongly that I want to make what it is that I'll teach. Jennifer, my hairdresser, is having her second child. He's to be delivered by C-section on none other than my birthday, July 9. I've made some baby bibs for her.
I had this yarn in my stash. 1 is the bib from Mason Dixon Knitting while the other 2 are inspired by the book. I need to run them through the wash since the dye isn't the most color fast, then sew buttons on. After that, they're good to go.
And that's all for now. Other knitting is Keith's second sock and the neverending Malabrigo wrap.

1 comment:

Honi said...

well thank you for the Mazel Tov.. we are pretty excited.. Steve keeps asking me if I am okay with the wedding and all... hmm lets see.. uhmmmmmm.. I have been planning it since 1962... so that would be 44 years in the making.. so yeah I am pretty excited.. the guest list has grown amazingly.. last week we were at 246 and as of today its already 259.. the cut off is 300. I hope you guys will be able to come. You will be getting info as the months go by.. I have great shoe story.. just posted it last night with pictures LOL.. I hate shoes.. well maybe not as much now as I did.. but used to hate them.. lol... so sorry to hear about Paiges mom.. you know.. I remember you talking about that camper in their drive way.. talk about a strange memory... I hope Paige is holding up okay.. her mom was brave and made the right choice for herself.. though very sad .. what a wonderful choice to be able to make.. I have seen so many people suffer with the ravages of treatments .. sometimes in some cases I wonder if quality over quantity is far better than suffering.. I still get scared a lot with cancer.. You know Steve is a cancer survivor.. sometimes I just wait.. for something else to happen.. but you know what.. waiting is a waste of time.. shit is going to happen no matter what you do.. hence our crazy lifestyle... okay enough rambling.. good luck with the baby stuff...