Saturday, June 30, 2007

Wildlife update

I was just sitting outside, drinking my first cup of coffee, when I noticed a bit of movement to my left. Now here in Georgia, that bit of movement is usually some sort of stinging insect, but this time it was a hummingbird. I see them occasionally at the butterfly bushes, which is what this one was checking out. They are so amazing to watch. You could almost see it thinking as it hovered there, looking at the coneflowers and butterfly bushes. Nope, no food here this morning. It zipped off. Between the late freeze and the drought, not much besides the coneflowers are blooming here. The coneflowers have gone quite crazy, but the rest are mostly dormant. I've thought about putting out a hummingbird feeder, but since I know they are a lot of work with the at least weekly cleanings and such, I haven't. I do wonder how they are doing in the drought. I have seen rabbits in my yard drinking the water I leave out if I get up early enough. Perhaps an Internet search on hummingbirds and a trip to Petsmart are in my future.

Mystery Stole 3's first clue was released yesterday at 7:00 a.m. I printed it while in the shower, looked at it briefly, then went to work. I started it last night around 8:00ish, and was able to complete about 23 rows. I had to tink (unknit) a couple of rows because I would get to the end and be a stitch short. I've not knit lace enough to just look and say, Oh, that yarnover is missing. I'm sure I'll be that good by the end of it. It's much easier to do than I imagined, and it looks pretty good. I really do like my beads. Tomorrow is Sunday which means I'll have time to take pictures and post them.

1 comment:

Honi said...

We used to keep a hummingbird feeder up on the deck... it was great... until it fell and broke and we never replaced it... you have to watch them as they can atract armys if tiny ants... but on the whole they are so cool to have.. we would have bunches of hummingbirds come visit especially when the dogs would be inside.. very peaceful and cool to watch...