Sunday, November 25, 2007

It's been a helluva week.

As I've mentioned before, mainly because finding out I have a chronic, permanent condition, no matter how easily managed, is never what one wants to hear, I've got hypothyroidism, and now I get to experiment with synthroid dosing. (Sorry for the very long and most likely incorrect grammatically sentence.)

So the first week I took 1/2 dose, only 25 mcg. It seemed fine, but the doctor had prescribed 50 mcg, so week 2 I started taking that. Now I've had a little stress with the neighborhood watch stuff, my co-coordinator and the whole inviting the news thingy, but normally I could handle it. This time I went basically bananas. I was in nice terms a basket case. What the hell was wrong with me? I never had PMS so bad that I should be committed. All of a sudden it hit Keith and I almost simultaneously, what about the medication? I checked it out online and found that anxiety, nervousness and emotional instability were all side effects of getting too much and overstimulating your system. I immediately cut back to the 25 mcg. I feel better already. I prefer a calm life with little or no drama, and this past week has been no fun at all. Sorry to the family for being a sullen little bitch on Thanksgiving, but I had to refrain from talking. Who knows what would have come out of my mouth?

Last weekend we went to a wedding in my hometown of Birmingham. Being the weird, socially awkward kid I was, I heartily disliked growing up there. (It's an over sized small town) As an adult, I never had any reason to go back. Sure, I had some friends and family still there, but I disliked Birmingham so much I avoided going as much as politely possible. Luckily Keith and I have both worked in retail related jobs off and on for a very long time, so it is difficult for us to find time off together when it's convenient for other people too.

I had to go to this wedding. Unlike my brother's wedding, Keith was healthy this time. (We missed Brett's wedding after Keith took a faceplant in Lake Lanier while skiing. He got an awful infection in the inside of his nose. We're talking swelling, fever and at least 2 rounds of antibiotics to get it under control. His nose make W.C. Fields' nose look good.) I honestly wondered how this wedding would make me feel. I love my friend and wish her nothing but the best, but I'd be going to so many of those old places where I felt like an alien visiting earth for the first time. I was so surprised to find that I enjoyed seeing these old places. I had fun, and I am so happy that Honi had a very lovely wedding. She looked radiantly happy and beautiful.

We stayed with my brother and his wife. I haven't met his wife but once or twice before, but I really like her. They have just the coolest house ever. It's one of those "modern" ones, and it's just fabulous. They've had the top floor remodeled so that it's almost like one long continuous open space with just some artfully placed walls to keep the kitchen out of the master bedroom. Most, if not all, of the floors have been replaced with bamboo flooring which is just gorgeous. He and Mindi have their own event planning company that they do in addition to their day jobs, and they had a huge event that weekend. We didn't get to visit nearly as long as I would have liked, but I had a great time seeing them, and getting to know Mindi better. If they have a website for their event planning, I'll add it to the sidebar.

For those of you on Ravelry, I've updated some of my projects and yarns with pictures. I'm still learning Flickr, so bear with me.

Oh, before I forget, I've been taking those dye classes. It is so much fun. I dyed 2 skeins of sock yarn last week, and I'll get pictures up as soon as I take some that show the colors properly. There is one more class to take, immersion dying. I'm taking some Lamb's Pride Bulky in a color I don't much like and overdying it to see what I get. I will say this about dying. It is a water intensive hobby, and I think I won't be doing any of it at home until this drought eases. I can wait - I've got a lot of knitting to do. Just look at my queue.

No comments: