Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Keith and his girls

I went to a dye class last night, the first in a 3-part series taught by local dyer Gale Evans. I had a great time and hopefully not a new obsession. I think it is very useful to understand more about this fiber world that has consumed me, and I love learning new things. I got to experiment with dyes and see that they don't turn out like I think they will. And since I was playing around, I didn't take notes as I should have, and I developed a gorgeous olivy gold color by accident that I was later able to reproduce. I know the components, now I have to be more scientific about it.

I got home around 10, then spent a long time on the phone with my brother. When I get off the phone, I hear "Lily, get out of there! Grey! Grey, leave her alone!" followed by sounds of rustling. Keith decided if you can't get them to behave, play with them. I found this:





Don't worry. We leave the shredder unplugged because this sort of activity happens. The long white thing Keith is holding is what he calls a "twizzler". It's just a piece of 8.5x11 paper twisted as long as possible so your hand won't get clawed. It's currently the cat toy of choice in the house, but only when there is a human attached to the other end. Also note that Keith has left his computer case dangerously close to the corrugated clawing pad. He later moved it since it is a favorite napping spot, but it's not very professional covered with catnip bits and massive amounts of wispy gray fur.
Finally, Honi, here's your birthday present in progress. You can click on it to enlarge it to mind-numbing detail of the cables and color. Happy belated birthday!

No comments: