Saturday, November 17, 2007

Knitting withdrawal

I feel like I've been megabusy this past week, and I've hardly knitted at all. I remember knitting last Saturday (Britcoms) night, Sunday (Fox cartoons) night and at Knit Nite on Wed. Other than that, I don't remember doing any at all. When I have been knitting, I've been working on the cable wrap to get it finished. I must confess here that I really love the tiny needles and tiny stitches of socks. I know those first socks felt like they took bloody forever, but even then I enjoyed the tinyness of them. At least I do feel like I make progress on the cable wrap because I can think "I've done 4 cable rows tonight" which translates into a fair amount of progress. Perhaps I'm at the event horizon where it feels like the wrap isn't getting bigger, nor the yarn used is decreasing the ball size. (yes, have a snicker here if you must - I said ball size)

I must admit that I, like most of my neighbors, was reluctant to take on the task on being neighborhood watch coordinator. Honestly, it's a lot of work. I was 30 minutes late to work yesterday because when you get an email from the police department that says call me, I need to speak to you, you stop what you're doing and call. Turns out we were on the news the other night. This is not what the reporter had told Rosa, but I'm of the school of thought when do reporters tell the truth? Especially if the news channel they work for really needs some filler material? I truly didn't know I was so very cynical about the news until this all happened. As for the story, it focused on the more negative and sensational aspects with a mention of the community banding together. They ended it by mentioning 2 armed robberies on the street. Luckily the detectives had already told us about this, and as they involved pizza deliveries to vacant houses, well, we as a neighborhood really have some work to do. But it does bother me because really, would you move into an area that you saw on the news being described as having increasing crime? Does the average person realize that crime is on the increase nationwide? Not just in our moderate little neighborhood, but in the ones where there's more money too?

Anyway, I have work to do coordinating the block captains, being the liason with the police department and gathering information for both the p.d. and the neighborhood. Luckily I really like spreadsheets, mysteries and puzzle solving. Although I'm not thrilled about the amount of time it's taking from knitting, I really think I'll be good at this.

Hmm, now that I think of it, I haven't even been able to surf Ravelry very much this week. Next week won't offer much relief as I have the second dye class, some Thanksgiving food prep, then the event itself.

I probably won't do any pictures tomorrow since I've not done enough work on anything to make picture taking worthwhile.

1 comment:

Kim said...

No chicken pictures from me. :-( My camera has been hijacked to Wisconsin. Apparently my parents feel that giving me life entitles them to borrow my stuff.