Saturday, February 7, 2009

Only 2 more to go

Amelia Peabody books, that is.

Of course, after reading these, I've spent some time on the interwebs looking for something like this:

Theban Mapping Project - an interactive map to the Valley of the Kings.

I've been interested in Egyptian things for a very long time. I've always loved natural history museums, and one of the places we used to go when I was a child was a very small one in Anniston, Alabama. It had a mummy in a glass case near all the taxidermied animals.

You also have to remember I grew up in the 70's. Chariots of the Gods, UFO scares, all sorts of looniness, and The King Tut Exhibit. We had tickets, stood for hours, then were able to go inside. It was amazing. Absolutely amazing.

To get back on track, after reading the AP books, I felt I needed to see exactly where some of the tombs the Emersons investigated really were, and the Theban Mapping Project is amazing. It has aerials, photos, maps, drawings and videos. When you have some time to spend, go take a look. Especially at this one.

I want to go to Egypt now. I've done a bit of travelling in my time, and was pretty much ok with not doing it, especially with Scooter being so ancient, but now I'm ready to book a trip and head on over to Egypt. Why haven't I won the lottery yet?

In the meantime, I'll be perusing the Theban Mapping Project and comparing it to the Amelia Peabody series. This series has reminded me how much I enjoy historical fiction.

No comments: