Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Scooter goes to the vet again

He's been looking uncomfortable lately, and he hasn't been snuggly for awhile now. He's got some arthritis in his hips, or that's what it looks like to us. I decided to take him to the vet this morning, along with Sassy for a follow up on her skin problems. I made the call yesterday, and since I didn't make both appointments at the same time, I would have to wait 30 minutes while the doctor saw another patient between them.

As you and I both know, things never go quite as planned. There is a lake near the vet's office, and while I was getting Sassy weighed, in comes one of the other vets with an injured goose tucked under her arm. She's calling for the vet I'm scheduled to see. I asked Margie, who's been there forever, if I should just plan to come back another day. I can see where this is going. She says no, that the goose shouldn't take too long.

It didn't take too long, but still, I had hoped to be out of the vet's office by 11 at the latest. After all, my appointments were for 9 and 10. It was a little after 11 when I left, and I've got plans to meet a friend for lunch and a movie matinee. Thus I ran home, got Scooter and Sassy settled, changed clothes, and dashed back out again.

As for Scooter, we're going to add fish oil, glucosamine and chondroiten to his food and keep giving him the Pet Mobility. He's not a happy camper right now since they really cleaned out his ears and trimmed his Howard Hughes-like nails. (We had trimmed his claws some a few nights ago, and he was quite feisty about it.) I've been a little concerned about manhandling him since he is over 18, and I don't want to hurt him. I'll get results from his blood tests in a day or two. Last time he was borderline on having thyroid issues, and I want to stay on top of that.

Sassy's skin allergies are improving remarkably with the medicated shampoo. I'm hoping that this is it for all the critters, both pets and ferals, for awhile. I'll admit to a certain longing to have my days off free from vet trips.

Gale and I went to see the newest Mummy movie today, even though we both knew it had gotten bad reviews. Hey, it has Brenden Frasier in it, so at least there's eye candy. Honestly, it wasn't as bad as I was expecting. The great thing was since school started here yesterday, we were the only two in the theatre, and we could act like comic book guy. We didn't have to be quiet as we discussed some of the sillier parts, or the fact that parts of the musical score sounded much like Indiana Jones. I will also admit here that other than rampaging dinosaurs and some of the Harry Potter creatures, for the most part I really dislike CGI animation. Or maybe I just think yetis on steroids are just plain ridiculous.

I forgot that the actress who played Evelyn in this one would occasionally forget the English accent and slip into American. I think the C reviews this Mummy movie got are on target. Go for the unintended laughs and tactical idiocy. Have fun being the armchair strategist and wondering while the hell didn't they do...?

1 comment:

Kim said...

Poor kitties! I hope they are feeling 100% soon!