Thursday, June 18, 2009

Summer Insomnia

Yes, I have it again. It's all due to the fact that we can't afford to keep the house as cool as I need it to be to sleep well. Honestly, I probably need to sleep in a refridgerator. I love it when it's about 60 degrees. Perfect sleeping temperature for me. Since it's just plain horribly expensive to run the a/c to keep it that cool, I now wake up almost every night roasting. I've read that most people are comfortable sleeping at 68 degrees, but when daytime temps are in the upper 90's, well, you see where this is going.

The summer solstice is Sunday, and once more I'll be counting down the days until the fall equinox. Don't get me wrong. There are things I love about summer, but the heat isn't one of them.

One thing about insomnia is that I start thinking about really wierd things. Like what I'll blog about next. One thing is TV couples who are just wrong. I must admit that CSI Miami is such a bad TV show. I do watch it sometimes as everything about it is soooo wrong. Like this past week, why are two scientists who are supposed to recover evidence babysitting someone who's going into witness protection? Why are they helping him go over his court case? Just so wrong. And that brings me to the couple of that show which is bizarre. Calleigh Duquesne and Eric Delko. Eric is such a wimp. Pouting, butt-kissing, masochistic - just all round wuss. And Calleigh is a two-face, using the term from Seinfeld. You know, she looks great in some lights and absolutely awful in others. I think she looks old enough to be Eric's mom. Ugh! I'll admit that I don't watch it that often anymore, and it's not even bad enough to fall into the "so bad it's good" category, unlike some movies I've watched. (Empire of the Ants leaps to mind.)

See, insomnia is not good for me. There was another TV couple who just plain bugged me with their wrongness, but those thoughts slipped into the ether once sweet sleep came upon me.

In pet world, I think Scooter is fading now. My beloved has finally seen it also, and that decision will be upon us very soon. Scooter's 19th birthday is this Sunday, June 21, and unless something drastic happens, I'd like to be able to celebrate it with him. However, I'm keeping an eye on him. I don't want him to suffer. Last night he was a mega petting pest, muscling his way into my lap as I was eating a midevening snack and getting settled to watch Predator yet again. He's now hiding and sleeping, but Keith said he was very demanding about his petting this morning too.

The heat and humidity are making Sassy's skin problems worse. I'm going to give her more Benadryl and see if that will help until I can take her in and get her allergy tested. Yes, I think it's come to that. I won't be able to do it until next month, but next month is nearly here. I've got an open prescription for the medicated shampoo, and it looks like I'm going to need it for her. Such fun.

No comments: