Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Weekend silliness

I know, it's getting on in the week, but I've not blogged about this past Saturday night.

Once a month at the Plaza Theater, the Silver Scream Spookshow happens. This is high silliness, grand campiness. A "classic" sci-fi or horror movie is shown after a burlesque show put on by a local ensemble. Please go take a look right now.

See what I mean? The show happens before the movie is shown. June's movie was the Hideous Sun Demon.

Our friend Ralph was the official 3-D photographer for the Spookshow, and that's how we heard about it. Keith and I have been planning to go for some time now, but I was working every Saturday, and he works most of them. Since the Spookshow is on the last Saturday of the month, that usually didn't work for Keith. Ralph and Daphne usually take their kids to the afternoon matinee, which didn't work for them this month. As Hannibal Smith always said, "I love it when a plan comes together". Everything worked this month for an adults night out to the Spookshow. I also invited Gale's hubby Marty, who loves a bad movie. Gale is helping her mom post-surgery, and she'll have to join us next month. We got dinner at El Toro, as we all know beer and margaritas help the viewing experience for all except the designated driver, then off to the movie.

It's been a long time since I've had so much fun. Yes, it was really goofy, dumb, ridiculous and just plain silly. The movie wasn't as bad as I expected since it only got 2 1/2 stars out of 10 on imdb. How fun it was to sit in an audience where no one was expected to be quiet, although the 2 guys behind us weren't very funny with their comments.

And the most amazing thing has happened! Keith's mood has actually improved. I don't know if it will stay better, but I'll enjoy it while I can.

No comments: