Friday, October 19, 2007

Strange days

Who would have ever thought that in 2007 a major American city would be facing running out of water? Then again, who would have ever thought that the aftermath of Katrina could happen here either?

Atlanta has less than 90 days of water left in Lake Lanier. That's a very strange and sobering thought. The drought has been so bad that pretty soon we'll be making a choice to brew coffee or take a sponge bath. I dread the thought of not being able to bathe daily. I know, that makes me sound like a spoiled American, but I'm used to being clean.

So honestly, what's a normal person to do? We've been pretty water conscious around here. My yard looks awful. The few flowers I planted last spring either died or are little brown sticks trying to stay alive. My van is in dire need of a wash and wax, but I sure wasn't going to do it here, nor do I really think about it when I'm out and about. Carwashing is not necessary. Taking a shower is.

I have one of those regulators that let's me turn off the shower flow when I'm lathering up. We've had it for years, and honestly I've used it for years. Some mornings it can be a little too brisk when the hot water is cut off, but that gets the blood flowing. We have a low flow toilet. I don't run the water when I brush my teeth. Now I'm turning off the water when I'm lathering my hands while washing them. I am water conscious, but there's only so much that I, as an individual, can do. More individuals need to be making those same small changes. A little from each person can add up to quite a lot.

Will this water shortage stop some of the unbridled development here in the Atlanta metro area? Those of us who have lived here for a long time can only hope so. Sure, I'm not a native Atlantan, but it's more than doubled since I moved here to go to college in 1981. Keith is a native, and he's watched his city mushroom.

In the meantime, we pray for rain. At least the temps are cooler, and that's less stressful on the plant life. I've been wondering when the trees were going to start falling, and I'm hoping the house doesn't take a direct hit. Pretty grim. I don't mean to be, but it's a situation I never dreamed I would be in. Seriously. Will I be able to take a shower daily in January? Think about it.

No comments: