Friday, December 28, 2007

Hiatus on travel

I know there must be some pet caretakers out there who would do the same, aren't there? Keith has mentioned a few times this month that we should go to California to visit his dad who moved out there about 3 years ago. His dad had been coming back to Atlanta very often that first year or so, flying back about every 6-8 weeks to tie up loose ends. However, we haven't gone out there to see their home or visit, and I think Jeanne, his wife, hasn't been back to Atlanta since she moved.

I'm not adverse to the idea of going to visit, but I have other things to think about. Scooter, who turned 17 1/2 on December 21, is who I think about. If he is like Brownie and Pixel, I only have another 8 months with him. To be totally honest, he is my favorite cat. He has been my favorite almost since he was born. He's got a great personality; he's very affectionate; and he almost always climbs into the bed, gets under the top cover and naps on top of my stomach when I nap in the afternoon. We've done this for years.

I told Keith that to be honest with him, he couldn't get me to travel anywhere until Scoots crosses the Rainbow Bridge. Both Pixel and Brownie passed when they had an acute condition pop up, and I don't want 1. For Scooter to suffer while waiting for a pet sitter to come by; and 2. if he's to be put to sleep, I need to be there. Keith wasn't surprised about this. Sometimes I wonder if he thinks the same thing, but I have to verbalize it.

As of right now, Scooter seems to be in good health. He has to go back in for some bloodwork to make sure his iron levels are coming back up. I'm sure if he knew, he's be hoping they are still low so he can continue to have liver every other day. He won't eat canned catfood anymore, but maybe a little hamburger or smoked turkey or ham from your plate will satisfy him very briefly. I expect the stare any minute since I haven't opened a jar of babyfood meat for him yet this morning. Yes - I know who has trained who in this relationship, and I'm not complaining. We shall miss him terribly when that awful time comes.

No wonder Seattle has such a high suicide rate. We've finally had some typical winter weather with clouds, fog and rain, but see where my thoughts have gone. I am rejoicing we have rain, but wouldn't it be great if it could rain while the sun shone?

1 comment:

Janice in GA said...

I hear ya. I did have one cat I was caring for get really sick while his owners were away. I was in email communication with them frequently, and had direction from them for what to do, including taking the cat to the vet and being willing to make the payment for it till they got back. They ended up having to cut their vacation short to come home and tend to him, and he ended up being put to sleep. :(

I've heard vets say that sometimes changes in routine can occasionally be the thing that tips an aged or ailing pet over the edge. :(