Monday, December 3, 2007

Is it hair pulling time yet?

Needle Nook is setting up the Malabrigo Afghan Knit A Long. OK, I'm doing all the computer work, and a LOT of it is new to me. Yikes!

Arlene has been tossing around the idea of knitting a Malabrigo afghan for some time now. We've been brainstorming on the best way to do it. We wanted it to be a sampler. It needs to be something all skill levels can do. Different knitters have different skill levels and what's challenging to one may be easy-peasy to another. How do you cater to all the different skill levels, speed of knitting, etc?

I kept thinking of the block of the month quilts I used to participate in when I was quilting more. I thought we could do this as a block of the month knitting afghan, but really, how to work it out?

We also wanted to have support meetings once a month for the knitters. We can help them pick out patterns and colors. The support is free with the purchase of the yarn and joining the group.

It struck me! Why not a Yahoo group and we can do it as a modified KAL? Each knitter could work at her/his own speed, post pictures and comments on patterns, and still join us for the once a month meeting for some knitting camaraderie and get help if needed.

The problems with this is we really want it to be an adjunct to the real world knitting experience, not a traditional web-only kal. The Yahoo group is secondary, a tool if you have a question in the middle of the night, that sort of thing.

And here's where I find the limitations of my ignorance. I've already had to possibly turn one person away since she's under the impression that this is a traditional kal where you can work on your own Malabrigo project. I feel very badly about this. I see I need to improve my descriptions (a lot).

I'm wondering just how much tinkering I can do to the original group to make my description more clear. I guess I'll find out.

Have a great Monday everybody. Here in Atlanta the temperature currently is dropping as the cold front comes roaring in on those northwesterly winds. Much of Georgia is under a wind advisory today. (Sorry about that. The closet meteorologist pops out from time to time.)

2 comments:

Yarn or Death said...

Clearly I have spent too much time at http://icanhascheezburger.com/, because every time I look at your subject line I mentally change it to "Is it can be hair pulling time yet?"

Eve said...

Your grammar is too correct to be catspeak. (and I spend way too much time on www.stuffonmycat.com