Sunday, December 30, 2007

New Year's 2008

I don't usually make resolutions since I know most of them are pie in the sky, doomed to failure, and abandoned after 2 weeks. That said, I decided to post a few for this year in a more optimistic outlook towards the New Year.

1. I've really got to do something about my health. The hypothyroidism made that very clear to me. Keith and I both need to lose weight (as our doctors tell us), so we are working as a team to clear out most processed foods, unnecessary dairy (we don't need to eat a block of cheese in just a few days), sugar, and to replace said things with as many fruits and veggies as possible. Some items we will keep, such as half and half. There is no good substitute for the real thing, and why make our food life totally miserable? Besides, if there is any way we can eat the suggested 9 servings of fruit and veggies a day, I think I deserve my 2 - 4 T of half and half.

2. Yarn purchasing moratorium. I've got enough yarn. Some of what I have has been purchased after consideration of a pattern, but a lot of it (most of the sock yarn) has been spontaneous, impulse purchases. So, no more yarn until I knit down some of my stash.

3. Finish the projects that I have on the needles right now before starting anything new. I hear this at the shop all the time, but so many times these are women who only have 1 or 2 projects! How in the world do they do that? I've got 6 on the needles right now if I'm remembering correctly: Keith's sweater, Mystery Stole 3, Janice's armwarmers, basic sock, sock for Keith and the Roses for You sock. I finished Honi's wrap last night. I would have made it just a little longer, but I ran out of yarn and decided not to buy a new one just to add maybe another 6 inches. It looks fine to me, but I'll post pictures later once the rain and gloom lift, and you can decide.

4. I'm clearing out some of the stuff I've collected over the years, mainly books. In fact, today I plan to list 10 on Amazon. Mostly Anne Rice since I won't be reading them again.

5. I'm planning to start clearing out some of my other items on Etsy and Ebay. I'm a confirmed packrat who has had a lifetime of hobbies. I can sell finished items on Etsy as I finish them (like some of the beading), and I can sell the components on Ebay.

6. Numbers 2, 4 and 5 lead to the most terrible of all for a packrat (who has, let's face it, quite a lot of honest to goodness junk) - cleaning up and organizing! My office is absolutely terrible. It looks like one of those hoarders lives here. Keith's office is so clean you could spot a pin on the floor, but mine is pretty terrible. It doesn't help that the cats think mine is wonderful because there are places to hide, things to climb on, and odd places to sleep. And let's not forget that part of the reason Keith's office is so clean is because I think he moves stuff into mine thinking I won't notice. Well, I do notice.

Wouldn't it be just hilarious if I made so much money cleaning up that I could quit my job? Then I might actually have time to knit! I doubt that will happen if I'm selling old Anne Rice paperbacks and the odd Michael Crichton hardcover, but it's like winning the lottery. Something nice to think about.

I hope everyone has a happy and healthy 2008!

1 comment:

Janice in GA said...

I've got a huge amount of stuff I'm going to off-load this year too. There's lots of music, and books I'm never going to read again. I'd love to sell off enough to pay down my Visa bill! And to buy a walking wheel (spinning.) :)