Thursday, December 27, 2007

Unintended holiday hiatus

It's amazing just how quickly time flies by when you are busy. Any of you who work in retail or retail support know that this time of year gets a bit crazy, and when you leave work, you're not exempt from the food prep or gift wrapping activities. Other things slide, like mopping and blogging.



So what's up with us, you may wonder? First of all, our holidays were quite pleasant. We as a couple decided no gifts for either Hanukah or Christmas. Honestly, it took a lot of pressure off of us. We don't need material goods to prove we love each other, and we've reached the point where we're trying to get rid of stuff instead of adding to it. I will admit that in 2006 we exchanged almost all media - cd's or dvd's for the holidays - and my hubby was the ultimate recycler as he bought them all used.



Now that the holidays are almost over, we're looking towards 2008 with lofty goals. Replace vinyl flooring in the kitchen (that we installed ourselves) with bamboo flooring from Ikea (which we will install ourselves). Clear out some of the books I've bought over the years. Sometimes I wonder what other people think when they come over and there are books everywhere. Bookcases in every room. Books in piles on tables and the floor. I love reading, and tastes change over the years, so there are books I don't mind parting with at all. What was I thinking when I got the book on millinery a few years ago? Was I really going to ever make a hat with buckram? I'm not a re-enactor. Or the Vampire Chronicles? Most of them are a one time read for me. After a while all of Anne Rice's books seem the same. I'm left thinking haven't I read this before? I will admit that Ellis Peters can be formulaic, but I actually like Brother Cadfael. Anne's vampires can get a little tiresome. Anyway, I can clear out piles of books, take them to the Book Nook to trade in, or just take them to Goodwill for a tax deduction, or post them on Amazon's Marketplace. Any way, they're out of here.

Oh wait, I forgot that we'll probably get blown-in insulation sometime in 2008. I will admit that I draw the line at installing insulation. I don't want to be covered with prickly fiberglass. Luckily, none of our lofty goals are necessary maintenance, so we can do them as the budget allows. If I still have vinyl flooring in 2009, I won't be thrilled about it, but I'll live with it. I'll never get a white floor again unless I have pets with white fur to go along with it. Black dog hair does not go with white flooring.

As for knitting, I'm almost finished with the re-knit of the Knit Round Scarf. I've done the required sets of decrease, but I think I'm changing the pattern and adding another set since I've had to add more stitches to get the darn thing to fit. I'm also thinking of ribbing around the neck instead of a rolled stockinette stitch collar. I'll have to see how it all works out. Hopefully pictures soon.

I know this isn't an exciting post, but it has felt like a long work day, and the glass of wine with dinner helped to suck the remaining blood away from my brain. It seems I can think more clearly in the mornings with a cup of java.

Wishing you all a happy new year!

No comments: