Sunday, December 9, 2007

It's a small, small world.

Keith and I went to a Hanukah dinner last night. It's been ages since I've had latkes and even longer since I had them that I hadn't made.

Anyway, I knew a few people there, and you know how we all are. We ask questions about where are you from, and who are you related too. It seems that if you're Jewish and from anywhere in Alabama, you'll eventually find mutual friends. In our course of conversation, when I mentioned my maiden name, Jack said I knew some attorneys with that name, who's your father? I told him, and then he asked who my grandfather was. I told him, and it turns out that we are distant cousins. Not only did we know some of the same people, but we are related. I'm cousins with my boss's son-in-law!

We are related on my paternal grandmother's side, and I know next to nothing about her family. We were estranged for some time after my parents were divorced, and when I started visiting her again, we just never spoke about her roots. You know how it is. When you are young, you don't always think about that stuff. Besides, you have all the time in the world. As I've gotten older I've wondered a bit. My grandmother has Alzheimer's, and it's pretty advanced, so I can't really ask her. All I really knew was that her parents immigrated from Russia right around the time of the revolution. Last night I find out there is a family genealogy book for that side of the family, and I can get a copy of it. How cool is that?

I have to admit I was a bit shocked about all of this. When I was younger we visited with cousins, aunts and uncles, and grandparents, but we got progressively more nuclear as I got older. I really know nothing about my family outside of this very small nuclear group, and here I am confronted with some very enthusiastic people telling me all about people I've never heard of, and where they live, and how we're related, and on and on. I got another drink. I needed time to absorb all this.

Of course I thanked Arlene for a most entertaining evening when I left. It was. I had a lot of fun, the food and company were great, and I left with a hugely extended family.

As for knitting content, I started on the Knit Round Scarf from The Knit Stitch. It's been chilly in the mornings, and I need something that will keep me warm while not interfering with my range of movement. This is really like a tiny poncho that sits on your shoulders. It takes 3 balls of Silk Garden, but I'm using Kureyon since it had a colorway that works better for me. I'll probably be able to post a picture of the finished product in a couple of days. It will be a quick knit. Of course now that I've started it I'll be wearing hippy skirts and sandals for the next few days while the temps are back in the low 70's. Welcome to December in the south. People have been saying how warm it is, but even before global warming I remember Decembers where I'd be wearing sandals. You just never know. One year it will be 28 and snowing, the next year we'll be wearing shorts.

Have a great Sunday.

No comments: