Sunday, March 2, 2008

Hexed finished.

I finished the hat last night. I did unpick the blanket stitch the pattern called for and used single crochet to put the hexagons together. Once I got finished, I looked at it and decided that the SIL undergoing chemo probably wouldn't like it. It's not really her style. I mostly like it, but it's not my colors, so I'm donating it to Chemoflage, a local organization that supports women undergoing cancer treatments.

I will admit that the yarn was an impulse buy from Wal*mart. The pattern calls for Lamb's Pride Bulky & Worsted, and I find that yarn to be particularly itchy. I knew I absolutely didn't want to use it for a chemo cap. I was picking up some Peaches & Creme, and saw the yarn. I thought it would work really well since the colors were what she wanted. Knitting it up though, I found it to have that acrylicky feel to it, then some of the fibers were pulled when a cat was just lying on the hat. For the record, it was Bernat Softee Chunky. It's is a very soft yarn, which is what attracted me to it. I'll use up what's left knitting teddy bear clothes for knitting guild. Right now my focus is getting a few more hats knit up before SIL loses her hair.

It was interesting to read about the other Hexed projects on Ravelry. The designer put her hat together with blanket stitch, which is easy enough to do on one edge. I had some difficulty using it to join the pieces together, and so did most of the other people who have made this hat. I just love Ravelry for checking out patterns and finding out if other people have had the same issues that I've had. I'm not thrilled with the way the single crochet looks, and I'll have some time to work these out when I make the next one.

Today is going to be absolutely lovely here in Georgia. Sunny, highs near 70. My daffodils have started blooming, as have the crocuses and hyacinths. I do love sitting in the soft spring air near the flowers and breathing in the different flower fragrances. There's nothing quite like hyacinths in the spring. They are one of my favorites. We have a really weedy mulberry tree out back that is just incredible when it blooms in June. The perfume drifts into the open windows and is so lovely. Spring is so wonderful, but I know that the dog days of August are just behind them. I will try to enjoy the present moment and not think about the probably drought and heat of the upcoming summer.

1 comment:

Beth said...

hyacinth. Hyacinth Bucket. It's 'Bou- quet'!