Sunday, March 9, 2008

A post about weather (and a little knitting)

I thought I'd best warn you so that you wouldn't waste your time reading it if it doesn't interest you.

This winter has been great. I know, people have been complaining about the cold, and the rain, and the cold rain, but it's been just what this drought stricken area needed. Lake Lanier's water level has been rising, very slowly, but it's rising. Just a few months ago the metro Atlanta area only had a 90 day supply of water left. Since our weather pattern is more normal, maybe we'll get a tropical storm this year that can add to our lake levels.

One other thing I want to mention here is snow. No, we don't get lovely deep snowfalls like they do out west or up north, but we've actually seen snow 4 times this year. It's been lovely to watch.

Oh, you want some knitting content too? I mentioned last time that by listening to what SIL wants for chemo hats, I realized that she probably didn't want any knitted ones. I had one on the needles at the time, and the yarn was one I got at Walmart on a whim. I'm making the Bzzz hat from Stitch n Bitch Nation, and it's gotten to a point where I could try it on. (I'm nearly finished with the darn thing.) It's huge. I don't know if it's the yarn, although I did read on Ravelry that some people have experienced stretching with this yarn. I'll finish it up and decide what to do with it then. Keith sleeps in a hat that I crocheted for him years ago. His head gets cold at night and keeps him from sleeping well. I think I'll get him to try it on to see if he wants another night cap. After all, hubby gets first dibs, right. Especially since I've put his sweater aside to knit all these caps.

As for the rest of the yarn, I can use it to make teddy bear clothes for AKG, or use a different pattern with some ribbing to make more hats, or use it for amigurumi. It won't get wasted.

I also mentioned last time that I wanted to get back to socks. I've turned the heel of the second Claudia Handpaint sock and am working on the cuff. I wound a ball of Panda by Seacoast this morning. I need to work with sock yarns we carry at the store in order to give better advice to customers. I love the colorway, and I can't wait to start working with it. However, I'm working, like many of you, to finish up current projects and not start on new ones. I've been thinking of casting on 3 more with Malabrigo Merino Worsted to help it move up the yarn page on Ravelry, but I also don't really want 3 more projects hanging over my head to do. I'd like to finish some of them before adding more. Well, there is more time in March, and I don't have to cast them all on today.

At least Daylight Savings time started today. Of course you knew that - every news outlet has been reminding us for more than a week. Top story tonight - turn your clock ahead two weeks from now! There are still going to be people who live under a rock who will be late for things today.

No comments: