Wednesday, March 12, 2008

An unpleasant surprise.

When I'm at work, I don't usually answer my cell phone. It's on, and if I happen to hear it ringing or making the "you have a message" beep, I'll check it.

Today the vet called me with the results of Scooter's biopsy. I think I knew when she said she'd try me at home that things weren't ok. She said, "It's come back skin cancer - a basal cell carcinoma." As she was fixing to tell me all about them, I was able to jump in with "I know all about them. I've had one myself."

The one thing about this that bothers me the most is that he has had it for years now. For several years we've had them look at the bump on his neck, and the answer has always been that it's a warty growth. Honestly, look at older humans. Some have all sorts of lumps and bumps. I have a few myself that I keep thinking I'll make that cosmetic appointment with the dermatologist and the electric needle for skin tag frying. So Keith and I didn't press the vets. They are the experts. They are also human.

Tomorrow Scoots and I have an appointment with the surgeon. The cancerous area is right over his jugular vein. We may not be able to operate. And what will happen if we don't? Should we even think about it? Scooter will be 18 in June. Will the surgery do enough that we should subject him to the trauma? I/we don't have to make any decision tonight, but we will have to make them soon. Especially since the surgeon is leaving the vet clinic at the end of the month, and if Scooter is to have surgery, I want this surgeon to do it.

I'm nearly finished with sock 2 of the Claudia Handpaint socks. I'll be able to post pictures tomorrow. I'll do that with the Scooter update.

2 comments:

Kim said...

Poor Scooter! You guys are in my thoughts.

Janice in GA said...

Oh jeez. That's a hard decision to be faced with. :(

My good thoughts and best wishes are with you and Scooter.