Sunday, May 25, 2008

Open mouth; insert foot

Yesterday at work a woman came in with the best hair. It was black with some ultraviolet purple, almost like the purple of a black light, near her face. I loved her hair.

We were a little busy, and she started asking me about a crochet book. I know how to crochet, but it's been years since I've done much besides the amigurumi. I mostly knit as I like the way the fabric looks better. I said we didn't have the book in stock, but perhaps it was new, and we just hadn't gotten it yet. Then she saw some of the other crochet books on the shelf, and it turns out she's in them. She's a designer visiting from California. She's Myra Wood, and she's in several books. Then she showed me an ad for the book she was asking about. It's her newest one.

Yikes! I must admit here that there are probably very few knit or crochet designers I would recognize. I may know their designs, but not their faces. I was a little embarrassed that here I work in a knitting store, and I didn't recognize a published designer. Let me say that she is just a lovely woman, very nice, and any embarrassment was strictly me beating myself up.

But what is the etiquette? When I saw she was in the book, I immediately wanted to ask her to sign it, but I didn't want to seem like a suck-up or phony sort of person. I probably just opened and closed my mouth like a fish.

In the meantime, I'll take a much closer look at the author pictures in the books. Maybe I won't seem the blithering idiot in the future. Hell, who am I kidding? I'm goofy enough that I can't help but occasionally be the blithering idiot, usually if there is someone I would really prefer to impress.

As for you, go look at Myra's work through her link above. I may decide to crochet more after seeing some of her finished goodies. They are pretty damn impressive.

No comments: