Tuesday, July 1, 2008

The vet again

Today I took Monster and Grey for annual checkups and vaccinations. There was nothing serious wrong; they just needed shots and a quick look in their ears. Yes, I have lots of cat ears to clean.

Monster doesn't like going to the vet, and she usually lives up to her name. It has been suggested to me that I change her name, but I haven't found one I really like for her. Today Margie, who I've known for years, told me that she distinctly heard the name Madelaine while she was working with Monster. Madelaine sounds ok to me, so I'll try it out and see if that's her real name. Yes, I know that makes me sound like a wierdo, but that's how I've found names for the dogs. A name would just pop into my head and be right.

As for Madelaine, she probably has diabetes. She has cataracts starting to form, so I've gotten a new cat food to try out. We tried last year to put her on a different food. She refused to eat it while Brownie would gobble it up. As Brownie needed every calorie she could get, and Madelaine does need to eat, I returned what was left of the food. She needs to go back next week, then we'll have to take her in to see what insulin levels she needs. I said as I was leaving today that responsible pet ownership is not cheap.

I've also got to get Madelaine up and moving more. She spends so much time sleeping on the coffee table under the fan. (Did I mention that she's seriously overweight?) We've got to make her get up and play some. I see my knitting time diminishing right before my eyes. Thank goodness I've turned the heel of the first Monkey sock.

ETA: I'm not sure about calling her Madelaine. I think I'll stick with her long time nickname of Wooly Bear. I call her that most of the time anyway.

No comments: