Sunday, September 2, 2007

Finished CTH sock #1

For those of you who are not sock knitters, I've finished the first sock of a pair knitted in Cherry Tree Hill yarn. Who knows what I've done with the label. It's probably in the big bin of sock yarn. And here it is....

The lighting isn't what it should be, but the colors are very close to reality. This one was knitted toe up, and I used a variation of Wendy's Russian bind-off. I realized that I was knitting 2 together through the back loop, and I decided I liked the way it looked.


On to the sweater...It's knit in Galway Wool by Plymouth. It's a tweedy charcoal grey. The pattern calls for black, but I liked this a lot better. After all, one must enjoy what she's knitting. As you can see, I've almost finished with the first ball of yarn. You must also remember that one round has 238 stitches, so when I do 6 rounds, I've knit 1428 stitches. I worked on this for awhile last night, but finally put is aside to finish the sock. Sock # 2 is already started.

The fall sweater drive is still going on at work. I helped steer a woman away from the acrylic to the Silky Wool, which is a lovely blend of wool and silk. I recently purchased 7 balls of it myself for a raglan cardigan knit from the neck down. I think her husband will be happier with the pattern and the yarn I suggested instead of beige acrylic.

We collect community service knitting at the store. Since I've been there we've been working with first Chemochic and now Chemoflage. We knit and collect chemo caps for women. Of the many other charities out there is one called the Red Scarf Project. Scarves are knitted for young adults who are orphans. They are distributed at Valentine's Day. I've seen other bloggers who are involved with this, so I'm somewhat familiar with it. I've not participated before since most of my charity knitting last year was for Chemoflage ( I knitted 7 hats last year) or for the Atlanta Knitting Guild (I knitted some parts for the teddy bear sweaters.) I have in the past sent items to Afghans for Afghans also. This will be the first time I've been involved in the Red Scarf Project. I think it's a great thing to do - I just really dislike knitting scarves. They are soooo boring. I shall be spending some time looking for an interesting pattern so I don't mind knitting 5 feet of bulky yarn. I'll probably do a cable, a pattern I've not done before so I can learn something new. If you want to check out the charity, here's the link... Red Scarf Project

That's all the news. Ok, one more bit. Some of you know that I spend Saturday nights watching the Britcoms and knitting. (Both of these drive Keith crazy sometimes.) GPTV has changed the lineup once again and added something called Supernova. It's about Australian astrophysicists in the bush at the Royal Australian Observatory. It is hilarious, and quite honestly when I was in college I seriously thought about astronomy instead of biology as a major. That's why I love this man almost as much as I loved Carl Sagan.

Gotta go. The belt on the dryer broke yesterday, and there are halfway dried clothes in there. I've got to hang them on the drying rack outside before they get sour.

2 comments:

Kim said...

How are you liking the Cherry Tree Hill? I *ahem* somehow *ahem* acquired some on my recent trip to St. Louis.

Eve said...

The Cherry Tree Hill that I have is quite nice. I like it and would buy it again, but not anytime soon since I can't stop buying sock yarn. I just bought some Toasty and Spinning Bunny to try out.