Friday, September 28, 2007

Questions of ownership

Have you ever really stopped to think who owns who in the human cat relationship? Those of you who live with cats know what I'm talking about. There's really no question at all, is there? Cats own their humans absolutely and expect total obedience. May the ancient Egyptian cat goddesses take pity on the poor humans who think otherwise.

This has become even more apparent this past week as Keith and I realize we have one less mistress to serve. A terminally ill pet becomes a focus of your life, whether you realize it or not. (And you think that's bad- having a terminally ill close relative is an even more powerful focus. We've been there/done that too.) As much as we miss Brownie, I've noticed that it seems more peaceful here. We're no longer on deathwatch. As for my other senior kitties, I'm making appointments on Monday morning to confirm their health. I think other than some arthritis, they are both ok.

I've been asked about the yarn named after me. It's not quite as flattering as it sounds. Beth had suggested a color combination to our dyer, and the dyer named that particular yarn after Beth. When Arlene saw it, she told the dyer that she and I both wanted yarns named after us. I am thrilled that the dyer did make it in colors that I really like (she's a great gal), but I didn't do anything outstanding to get a yarn color named for me. I know - that's not a great tale. I'll have to read some epic hero's quest and come up with a better one.

One more thing. You absolutely must check this out on my favorite site - Stuff on my cat. http://www.stuffonmycat.com/index.php?itemid=5115
According to the cat's slave, this is one very lucky shot. This has not been photoshopped. It was caught in midjump, the human being in the right place at the right time with the camera. Enjoy.

1 comment:

Kim said...

Very cute! Not only do cats own you, when you get a cat, your stuff becomes their stuff. It's their couch; they just let you sit on it sometimes.