Friday, September 7, 2007

The waiting is the hardest part

When I came home from work tonight, the furry devils were all demanding immediate feeding as usual. All except for Brownie, whom I didn't see. I checked her sleep spot, at which point she awoke and joined the feeding frenzy.

I find I've reached sort of an odd state of low level, constant anxiety. It's barely there, but when I see Aunt Bev has called my first thought is "I hope nothing's happened to Grandma." Sometimes when Keith calls I wonder "Is Brownie ok?"

Honestly, since I turned 30 several long years ago, I've been mostly ok with aging. Ok, I'm seeing the loss of elasticity in my post 40 jawline, and I am starting to wonder just how much plastic surgery would cost. The worst part about aging is that you don't do it alone, and those you've known and love start to pass away. I'm very lucky that I still have grandmothers, but one has had multiple strokes and the other has Alzheimer's. One still knows who I am, the other does not. I have 3 aging cats. Brownie is the only one who is really enfeebled, but Scooter is much less mobile than he once was, and Pixel is more neurotic and odd. In fact, Pixel once again is outside. She complains about it when she shows up for feeding, but she keeps her distance so that I can't grab her and bring her back in.

Keith has a cousin who is a few years older than we are. Nearly 2 years ago he was diagnosed with liver cancer. In the meantime he continued to travel and live life to the fullest while they tried to reduce the size of the tumor in order to operate. We heard tonight that the cancer has spread, and he's been in and out of the hospital recently. We plan to go visit next week, if he's up to having visitors.

On a much lighter note, Alien vs. Predator 2 is scheduled to be released in December. Yes, the first one is really funny to me (it's not supposed to be). Be ready for cheesy sci-fi.

Speaking of which, I've been watching season one of War of the Worlds, the Fox tv series from the 80's. Keith and I really enjoyed it when it came out then. It's not always easy to knit to since I do have to watch it. Fun special effects that include aliens dissolving into piles of smoking goo. It was (and still can be) kind of creepy, but for someone who stayed up late on weekends watching 50's sci-fi and The Nightstalker, it's must see TV.
As for the knitting, I've set everything aside so I can work on the red scarf. My cable didn't work very well on the acrylic yarn. It was too big and made the yarn misbehave too much. I'm thinking now of a basketweave so I won't be totally bored, and the scarf will mostly lie flat. Not much progress on Keith's sweater.
Here's a random picture of Scooter dozing in the sun this past spring.

1 comment:

Honi said...

ahhh I am right there with you on the aging thing Eve... since I have lost weight I notice.. this drop in my face.. especially where all the neck fat used to be... I am starting to look like a turkey..... sigh... u are blessed to have your grandmothers still around.. I remember when I lost my dads mom.. the last time we saw her Thanksgiving of 1998 I said to my sister this will be the last time we see her.. for it was as if a miracle happened.. she was lucid and full of life and conversation.. she knew everyone and when we went to this place .. ( they have one near atlanta.. something and Busters .. i cant remember.. anyhow.. u can eat there and play games.. she played basket ball .. with my nieces.. it was amazing.. 6 months later she died... prior to when we saw her.. she was slipping away.. not talking.. not eating.. not recognizing people.. in full swing with dementia.. but we were lucky to have that great time with her... We worry as Baz gets older.. he already has some arthritic conditions... it is hard watching those we love age.. and aging ourselves... although for me.. each birthday is just one more year I have managed to survive.. and one more year I am thankful to be in good health for the most part... sorry to hear about Keiths cousin.. but he has the right idea.. LIVE LIFE TO THE FULLEST always...