Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Oh dear, what have I done?

I didn't realize that buried beneath all that junk on the table was also my love for sewing. Now that the table is cleared, and my machine is happily at home on it, all I want to do is sew.

I'm nearly finished with the binding on the quilt, but I found a small rip in the fabric on the back! It looks like the rotary cutter got it at some point, and I put the whole thing together without even noticing it until now. Crisis or opportunity?

Opportunity, of course. I've decided to applique a small heart on the back in one of the fabrics from the quilt top. I'll do something to keep the rip from expanding, probably stabilize it with a teeny tiny bit of interfacing, then put that heart right on top to cover it.

I've been to Knitch a couple of times in the past few weeks, where I let some Amy Butler patterns seduce me into buying them. As I'm currently not earning much income, I had to pass up her lovely fabrics. However, I had a very big surprise when I stopped in JoAnn's yesterday. I was amazed to see how nice some of their fabrics are. I ended up purchasing enough to make a Barcelona skirt, and it was 30% off too! Less than $13 for the skirt is great. Don't get me wrong. If I had the cash, I'd get some of Amy's fabric too. I just don't have the cash flow right now.

Since I was a quilter and fabric stasher back when I was working for the accounting firm, I do have a decent sized fabric stash. Most of the fabric cuts are much smaller, or they are not my style for clothing. While I think Hello Kitty or Snoopy fabric is a lot of fun, I don't really want Hello Kitty all over me for every day clothing (at least not in the prints that I have). However, I do have several yards of skulls and roses fabric. I'm torn between a skirt for me or a knit bag. I'm leaning towards the bag as I do think about age appropriate dressing. I do hate seeing mutton dressed as lamb, and as I'm reaching a "certain" age, well, need I say more?

Anyway, I've got to start knitting that sock again, and it's darn difficult with the siren song of an empty sewing table and a set up machine. At least Grey is crashed on the table right now, and I'd best not disturb her. She's an awfully fussy, squealy, protesty sort of cat, which earned her the title of Princess.

No comments: