Thursday, February 14, 2008

Aah, butter

Now for the information on my butter making experience.

I looked at allrecipes.com to see if there was anything else I needed to do, and it's super easy. Take your heavy cream, dump it into a blend and punch the button.

So here's what I did. I bought my non-homogenized, organic whipping cream at the Farmer's Market and poured it all into my Kitchen-Aid. Yes, the whole quart of it. I used the batter blade, not the whisk. As I cranked up the speed, cream went flying all over the counter as I don't have a splash guard, and apparently not a lick of sense either. Keith came in as I was blending quite slowly and devised a splash guard with aluminum foil. I cranked up the speed again. The cream became softly whipped, then stiffly whipped. I kept beating it. It was so cool when the whipped cream began to collapse upon itself. I tasted it, and I could taste the butter droplets in it. I kept going until the butter separated from the liquid. I carefully spooned the butter into a sieve to drain it (and yes, I knew not to press it.) After it drained for a little while, I spooned it into an enamel bowl and pressed it to get more buttermilk out. Now I have about a cup & a half of real buttermilk and maybe a pound of homemade butter. Next time I'll use less cream and the blender.

Please know that I'm here to do the ocassional asinine thing so you don't have to. Have a great Valentine's Day. Since we don't celebrate Hallmark holidays, I'll find something to watch and get-a-knittin'.

2 comments:

Janice in GA said...

I used the blender for another batch of butter. I had a lid on it and I STILL managed to splash whipped cream on the counter and all over myself. (I can't keep from peeking in to see what's happening.)

I've eaten almost all my butter. I'm about ready to make some more.

Eve said...

Thank goodness I'm not the only one who makes a mess. It really is fascinating to watch, not to mention the taste.