Friday, February 29, 2008

Vet visit results


Liver almost makes up for the indignity of wearing this bandage. Dr. Pat's lucky I've never been a biter.
We've just gotten back from the vet, and the results are mostly good. In fact, Dr. Pat said we were doing a good job with him. (I'm not offended that it wasn't a great job. We don't always remember to do things like defrost his liver every other day.)

She took blood to check a couple of things, and they are back within normal range. He's not dehydrated right now and has been maintaining his weight.

His oil glands in his tail are going a bit crazy, and he's not grooming as well, so we get to wash his tail for him. I guess after the sub-q, this should be easy?!?

He's had a bump on his neck for several years now. We've asked about it before and been told warty growth/possible cyst. Last time we were in they cleaned it up since he had scratched most of it off. Our last visit was 4 weeks ago, and the area hasn't healed. He has been irritating it and getting most uncooperative when we try to clean it. Today she decided to biopsy it to make sure it's not a carcinoma. We'll know the results within a few weeks. We'll probably know the results much sooner than that, but they tend to overestimate the time it takes. A CYA move for them.

That's one thing about older pets. You think, okay, I can get out of the vet for maybe $75 this time. Oh no! Before you know it, your cat has his neck bandaged up, and the bill has just tripled. In the past I've had friends who thought I might become one of those women with 50 cats. Let me mention now there is no freakin' way! Pets are expensive. And how do I end up with the ones that have food allergies? The ones that can only eat one certain type of food? I've had 2 dogs now with skin problems, as well as 2 cats. At least there are so many more options now than there were even 10 years ago when we were having so many problems with April and her skin. I know which food Sassy can eat with no problems. Oops, didn't mean to go off on a rant. My vets are wonderful and worth every penny, but ouch!

Anyway, I must go now. The liver is defrosted, and he's been periodically coming back here to meow at me before running back to the kitchen. I am a somewhat well trained human. My theory is that it's a mutual relationship. He comes when I call him, so I must return the favor. Besides, I also have to stuff pill pockets with his arthritis supplement.

4 comments:

Kim said...

Silly human! Don't you know how this relationship works? You are his faithful servant and must do his bidding.

Eve said...

I will admit I almost always do his bidding. Sometimes it just takes a little longer than he would like.

Janice in GA said...

We're taking my dad's dog. He's been terribly spoiled all his life. He's overweight, he's a resource guarder, and a food beggar. He's never lived with other dogs. I took him to the vet to get him checked out, and one of his liver enzymes is high, and it's possible that he has Cushings, along with thyroid problems and skin problems.

He's almost 10 years old, and is going to have lots to handle real soon now. :(

So I sympathize on the older pet thing. It's a challenge any way you look at it.

Beth said...

I hope all is well with the test results and glad he's better.

As far as the 'special needs' pets go, I guess you just send out those vibes that attract them to you 'cause you will do all humanly possible for them and they sense that! ;)