Friday, February 1, 2008

The vet visit

Scooter and I went to the vet this morning. He serenaded me with the most pitiful meows imagineable the whole way there.

Our concerns have been, as I think I mentioned before, that he just seems to not be his old self. We don't think he feels very good, although he has a great appetite. We're pretty sure he has some arthritis (the vet agrees). I thought he might be dehydrated since he only wants to drink fresh out of the faucet water, and we're not always there to cater to him. (He is dehydrated.) He only weighs 6 1/2 pounds too. A few years ago he was around 13 pounds.

The results of his visit are that he needs subcutaneous fluids and vitamins for a few days. I was shown how to do this at home, but I'm not sure I can actually inject him. Keith is taking him back tomorrow to learn how to do this also. We wait for the results of his blood test to see if he still gets to eat the organic liver every other day. Much less baby food meat and back onto cat food since baby food isn't a balanced food for cats. He also has a cyst on his neck which he's had for years, but he's irritated it, so we've got to clean it every day until it heals. And the topper is a small spot on his gum that we have to watch. Let's face it, cats are not the most cooperative of creatures, and I'm not sure how Scoots is going to react to me trying to look in his mouth once a week. Oh, and we're starting him on an arthritis supplement to make his joints feel better.

My overriding concern with my old pets is to make sure they are comfortable and happy. Scooter has been my favorite pet for his entire life because he is an affectionate, good-natured, sweet cat. We will do whatever we can to keep him with us, but only as long as he is comfortable and enjoying himself. I just don't want to be surprised as I was with Pixel who seemed absolutely fine, then totally crashed in less than 24 hours. In the meantime, Scooter has been complaining a bit since he's been home. I'm sure the subcutaneous fluids aren't that comfortable, and no kitty likes going for a ride in the crate. Crates are ok to nap in when they stay open and stationary, but close them and put them into the car, and they become a most cruel place to be. I've turned on the heating pad so he can sleep on the bed, but he'd rather walk around and complain about how mean I've been today.

As for me, I think I'm going to block out 1/2 day off each week just to craft. No housework during that time. I think if I can have 4 uninterrupted hours each week I can make some real progress on some of these nearly finished quilts that I have. In fact, I have one that only needs the binding cut and sewn on, and all I've done is think about it in passing. I can get a lot done in 4 hours. I also have 3 curtain panels that are all finished except for sewing the linings in. I'll see how this goes and report back.

As this isn't starting this week, I'm off to toss wash into the dryer. Woohoo.

3 comments:

Janice in GA said...

One of my old dogs needed sub-q fluids at the end of her life. She was a good cooperative ol' gal, and she always was still for me to do it. I think she realized that she felt better afterwards. :)

Cats might be more of a challenge. But the procedure itself isn't really that bad, once you get over the fact that you're sticking a needle into your pet.

Yarn or Death said...

I think I was telling you recently about sub-q-ing (that is a dumb way to write it out, but I'm tired) my landlords' cat. Sam was a cranky old man and didn't want to sit still for the fluids (not for us, anyway, I'm sure for his mommy it was a different matter), but actually sticking him with the needle didn't seem to cause him pain. I would actually rather sub-q than try to give a cat a pill.

Honi said...

I hope Scooter is doing better.. right now Cookie is lecturing Bazzie about staying away from her Daddy because she wants his attention.. now should Baz walk away from Steve Cookie then goes to whereever Baz is ... looks at him.. and then runs back and plops down right next to her Daddy protecting him from the big bad Baz.. lol.. she is such a goofy doggie. U kjow Baz is getting a bit older too...and we have had him on GC for his arthritis and we just throw the suppliment in with his kibble and he does fine.. HE still is not suppose to play Frisbee with Steve and cookie but every now and then he gets too.. hard watching our babies get older... but Cookie keeps everyone in line..unless Eight Below happens to be on then she will watch that movie from beginning to end .. slam her face into the tv screen because she thinks she can go play with those doggies .. and not let anything interfer with her movie watching.. she will even sit in front of the tv when its off waiting for you to turn it on to see if Eight Below or some other doggie feature is on.. uhmm sometimes she gets Tigers confused with dogs .. lol