Sunday, February 10, 2008

Week in review

This past week has been chock full of activity, and I could really use a nap today. I won't get one as I'll be working.


I went to visit my grandmother in Athens on Tuesday. At her age and after the strokes, I have to remind myself that she's not joking when she asks "who are you?" I thought she was joking, especially since she told me in December that she wouldn't have recognized me. I thought this was a continuation of a joke, but later I realized that she's serious. Her eyesight isn't what it used to be, and I'd had my hair cut by about 3" since my last visit, so my hair looked a little different. I just don't always remember that she can't joke anymore. I realized my mistake later when she started asking me questions that included was I her first grandchild and was Brett my brother? My family is so incredibly lucky that my aunt and uncle are such patient and loving people that they can and have cared for my grandmother for several years now.


This past week was also the Atlanta Knitting Guild. I have knit nights on Wed nights, so when there's a guild meeting too, I'm out 2 nights in a row. When I was in my 20's, this wasn't a big deal. In my 40's, even though I have fun both nights, I'm so ready for be on Thursday night. However, I end up staying up late since I need to unwind.


On Friday I met up with Daphne for a latish breakfast and to discuss getting the prayer shawl group set up. I haven't seen Daphne for any decent length of time in ages, and somehow the day just got away from me. We went for a late lunch too since we had been talking for so long we needed refueling. I got home in time on Friday to do 3 loads of laundry and make macaroni and cheese from scratch for dinner.


At least I get to stay home most of the day today. I started on the prayer shawl/blanket that I've been wanting to make last night. My yarn finally came in yesterday. I purchased 6 balls, and now I'm wondering if I should get the rest in this dye lot since it's Malabrigo, and it never looks the same twice. Here's a picture of the start.

The pattern is not the one I had originally planned on doing. It's one called Seaweed stitch in Barbara Walker's Second Treasury. There is a seed stitch border to make it lie flat. I could have used garter, but I really love the was seed stitch looks, and I tend to use it when I can. Seaweed stitch is reversable. It does look different on each side. I think it will make a very interesting shawl. The person I'm making this for loves the beach. I thought the Malabrigo Emerald Blue has all those tones of the ocean on a sunny day. When going through the stitch pattern books, Seaweed Stitch suddenly leapt at me, and I knew I had the perfect one.

Let's see. We gave Scooter his last sub-q on Tuesday, and I think he's getting dehydrated again already. We do have some of the fluid left, as well as a couple of sterile syringes. I'll have to call the vet and discuss this development with her. In the meantime, I'll get the recirculating water bowl back up and running. I wonder if he would drink diluted chicken broth regularly?

One more thing before I sign off for now. I'm still planning to make my own butter. I mentioned this at knit night and was disappointed by the reactions I got. For me there is a sense of wonder that you can do this. I grew up in the suburbs eating margarine until I went off to college and bought my own groceries. I've never made butter, and I can appreciate the tranformation that cream undergoes to make this wonderful, delicious product. Thank goodness there are other knitters here who do appreciate it, and enjoy eating the results of their labor. Thank you to Janice and Debbie for starting me on this.

3 comments:

Janice in GA said...

I've been eating the butter I made ever since I made it, and I plan to make more when I run out. Phooey on the poopyheads who don't see the point! It's fun, and you made it yourself! That's the same reason we became knitters, right?

Kim said...

I love the shawl! I think the seed stitch looks like a pebbled beach. Beautiful!

Honi said...

how exactly does one make butter ? I know the basics but just curious how you plan on doing it..