Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Adventures of a newbie bookseller...

or how to complicate something that should be so simple.

I've gotten notice that my third used book has sold on Amazon. You would think this would be an easy enough way to clean out a few books I've got laying around, and it mostly is.

I ordered a book a couple of years ago that got shipped to Ohio instead of to me, and I had to contact the seller to track it down and get a refund. The book itself went to Ohio and stayed there somewhere. So, for some piece of mind, I figure the $.75 for delivery confirmation is worth it.

My first book was uneventful enough. My second book, however, has been a little wierd. First of all, it's a car maintenance manual. I thought I had entered the ISBN from the back, but somehow I ended up listing it under the wrong model year. I didn't catch it until it was sold. I emailed the buyer, explained my mistake (the cover's for several different model years are exactly the same) and offered a refund. The buyer said it still had the year he needed, so send it. I asked Keith to mail it for me since I had to work for the next couple of days and would have some difficulty getting to the post office. What I found out is don't just give Keith the receipt showing what I did previously. I must write down exactly how I want it shipped. He sent the book off with media mail (which is fine), signature confirmation (not fine for a $9.00 book). Now this poor guy has another hoop to jump through to get his repair manual, and I feel slightly idiotic.

As for me, book #3 sold today, expedited shipping. You can damn well bet that I'll be mailing this one myself. It's just easier for both of us and will save us some of that couple aggravation that happens over the ridiculously small things.

In other parts of life, the family member with cancer (hereafter known as FMWC) started chemo last week. When I spoke to her on Sunday, she said if I was making her any chemo caps that I'd better get going since her hair will start falling out sometime in the next week or so. I can occasionally take a direct order, so I started one last night. I'm using the pattern from Stitch'N'Bitch Nation which is becoming my standard cable hat (I usually tweak it every time I do it), and I'm using some Lion Cotton that I have from a dishcloth knitting frenzy. The great thing about this cotton is you can toss it into the washer and dryer, and it comes out fine. It does bleed some, but I'll pre-wash it. While at Wal-Mart I picked up some Peaches and Creme in a couple of more colors that she likes. The prayer shawl will be put on hold while I get these knocked out. Pictures later.

In case you've been wondering, Scooter has been doing pretty well. He hasn't gotten dehydrated again since we did the sub-q. Keith did take apart his recirculating water station to clean it, and we've got to get it up and running again since Scoots has been refusing to drink from a bowl that has sat for whatever lenghth of time he deems too long. He needs his rabies vaccine, so he'll go in again next week, and we'll find out then if he needs any more sub-q.

2 comments:

Yarn or Death said...

I've got some extra Shine Worsted from KnitPicks that feels amazing. Would she like a crocheted hat as well?

Eve said...

I'm sure she'd love a crocheted hat, but she's picky about colors. I was told any blue except navy, purple or green (but not olivy greens.)