Sunday, April 6, 2008

The first of the season

Keith spotted our first hummingbird at the feeder this morning. It was a male ruby throated hummingbird. I think I remember reading the males migrate first, followed several weeks later by the females. There was at least one that came to the feeder off and on all day. It was quite exciting for the nature nerd here.

Also, Chubby was still hiding in the closet when I got home from knitting this afternoon. I was determined to get him out. First I tried clearing out the closet, putting on a heavy ski jacket and leather gloves. I thought maybe I could grab him and put him by the door. That didn't work.

Plan B. Clear the pets and humans from the front room, open the front door as wide as possible, and be very quiet. Keith went to work in his office, while I went out front to tackle some of the wildly exuberant weed growth. After I'd been at it long enough to fill the first yard waste bag, I came in to find that he was actually out of the closet! I went back out, and soon saw a movement in the corner of my eye. He was out and going back towards where I think he may spend the night. Yes, the other neighbor who feeds the ferals house. At least that was the direction in which he was heading. As Keith tried to lure him out of the closet today with some delicious sardines, I'm sure Chubby will be back in the morning for breakfast.

In other news, Daphne knows someone who knows how to contact the groomer who no longer works at our vet's office. It turns out Daphne liked the work she did too. We are going to track her down and see if we can get her to continue to groom our pets. No one does a sanitary clip on a long haired cat like she does. Most importantly, Monster likes her as well as she'll like any groomer. (Monster lives up to her name with some of them.)

Gotta go. Dexter on CBS is nearly on, and the Ice Truck Killer will be revealed tonight. Must find some really easy knitting before it starts.

No comments: