Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Nerd alert

I went over to Gale's house today for her to show me how to do long draft spinning and card fibers. It was so fun, but even more so when I got to play on her computer. I have no need for photoshop, but she does, so I got to teach myself how to do banners & badges for Ravelry. I need some more experience, but it's pretty good for a first try. I helped her get her group on Ravelry set up, and I've gotten the first yarn input too. I must admit that I do miss problem solving on the computer. I will get to have some fun when I teach her how to use QuickBooks. I get to set up a chart of accounts and inventory. Cut me some slack. I spent a lot of time working doing bookkeeping and accounting, and parts of it actually were very fun for me. There is something to be said about sitting in front of a computer and setting up someone's accounts. What was even more fun was a new client whose books were a mess. It's just another sort of puzzle that needs to be solved, and I loved doing it.

As for the spinning, there are reasons I avoid it. I want to do it too, and I certainly don't have the time. I left today with a gorgeous batt, so I'll pull out my wheel and play with the lovely fiber as soon as the shawl is completed. I'm so close to the end of ball 5 on the shawl. I'll be spit-splicing almost immediately when I pick it up tomorrow.

I'd better head off to bed and grab a few hours of sleep. Tomorrow is labor day, and I forgot to get that winning Mega Millions ticket today.

3 comments:

Kim said...

I think those kinds of things are fun , too. So we're both nerds. :-)

Janice in GA said...

Somehow I missed knowing you had a spinning wheel.

Cool.

I was born to solve problems and straighten things out. I feel kinda lost when I don't have something like that to do.

Eve said...

Yay! I'm so glad to know I'm not the only one.

As for the wheel, it was a gift from my grandmother and aunt for helping so much when we had to move my grandmother from Birmingham to Athens when she could no longer live by herself. I actually have never used it, but the spinning bug has been revived.