Monday, April 28, 2008

In which I vent about pets

I am so lucky to have a hubby with a pretty flexible schedule. I bet 99 days out of 100 his schedule can accomodate changes, and this includes the all important spontaneous vet visits.

Today was day 100. We both had places to be at pre-appointed times, with no wiggle room. Today is the day when I notice that Sassy is shaking her head. Keith suggests since she hasn't been up very long that maybe she slept on her ear, and it was bothering her. (You know this has happened to you. You fall into that really deep sleep, and when you wake up, your ear has been mashed and hurts like mad.) Good try by K, but as Grey had some ear problems last summer, I just didn't think that was it. I went to Sassy and picked up her ear. Inflammation, some slight swelling and moisture. Great. Inflexible schedule, I'm running out of time, and there was no way to get her to the vet and back. I decided to clean her ear with the ear cleaner sent home for Grey, give her an aspirin and then swab her ear with a concoction of essential oils diluted in oil. I figure we can get her to the vet tomorrow since it won't be that Day 100, and I had to do something for her ear before I left.

I'm doing ok on time. I've taken out the trash, gotten the dog doctored, showered, and my schedule allows for make-up and getting dressed. I'd better start looking for Lily. After all, she loves to play in the rain, and I haven't been able to locate her yet. I look out the door and hear odd squeaking. She's got a bird. I go out, thank goodness I'm still in pj's, and pick up the wet cat. Now I have an injured bird to deal with. I quickly get dressed, forgo make-up, and go back out to look for the bird. It has disappeared. My hope is that it was only shaken up and was able to fly away. My fear is that it was mortally wounded. I looked for it, but it was totally gone. As I've mentioned in an earlier post, hope springs eternal.

I let Sassy back out before I leave, and when I come back up I find that Lily has expressed her displeasure with me by tinkling on the floor in the kitchen.

Tick, tick, tick goes the clock as I clean up kitty tinkle.

Home this afternoon, and poor Sassy has pulled out some of the fur near her tail. She's part Shar Pei, and they have all sorts of skin issues. We've had problems with food allergies with her too. She and I are definitely visiting the vet tomorrow to find out what's going on. Sometimes I really wish the furkids could tell us what is wrong. Of course, it might be things like "I found something only slightly rotten out back and decided to eat it." Or the cats might say "I don't like throwing up outside. Just how uncivilized do you think I am? It's easy enough for you to clean it up from the kitchen floor."

Luckily I can knit and watch Bones and House for the next few hours between dog ear cleaning and other household chores. And this is why I have stash. It seems all of my disposable income lately has gone into building a new wing at the vet's. At least I can knit for the rest of the year from stash. Viva yarn hoarding!

No comments: