Friday, April 11, 2008

Knitting in public again

I've been knitting in public again today. We went for our annual trip to the North Georgia Premium Outlets to get work clothes for Keith. We should be more like normal people and clothes shop for him more often throughout the year, but he finds it to be an ordeal. A few years ago I figured out if he finds something that he likes, then I must encourage him to get more than one. This is especially true for shoes, which seem to be an even more odious chore.

I'm not even sure when he discovered that the Gap khakis are appropriate for work and fit comfortably, but that is one stop where we can depend on getting him outfitted. Last year we discovered the Haggar outlet. I'll admit that it gets easier each year, but I still have to be there to help him decide if things fit properly. That's where the knitting comes in. Thank goodness for sock knitting. If I have to hang around while he tries on lots of clothing, I'm no longer wondering if I should pull my hair out strand by strand or in big clumps. Nope, I'm as happy as a clam working away on my sock. Where ever you are, if you're knitting on a sock, people are going to talk to you. Or in the case of pre-teens who are too cool, they'll whisper questions to a younger sibling who has no problem asking them.

Did I score anything on today's shopping expedition, you ask? Actually, I did. I bought new summer tees at Tommy Hilfiger and Ann Taylor. All of my tees are at least 18 months old, and many of them look it. When the black shirts look sad and gray, time to replace them. (Alright, I'm actually planning to re-dye them. Just haven't gotten around to it yet. I also need to shop more regularly throughout the year for clothing instead of buying only books and yarn.)

What else did I get? I got a day with Keith that was fun. He wasn't on the phone with work the entire day. He wasn't grumpy or irritable. We've got the shopping down, so it was pretty painless. To quote Mastercard, it was priceless. Tomorrow, back to reality, but I'm going to enjoy the rest of today.

No comments: