Tuesday, April 1, 2008

New authors

Are any of you out there like me when you find an author who is new to you? There are so many out there that you can always find someone who has been around for awhile, and you've never read any of their works.

I've been watching Bones for the past season or so and finally picked up one of Kathy Reichs' books to read. That was a horrible mistake for me. I have devoured two of them in the past 10 days - 2 weeks, and those books have given me the excuse to ignore the housework. How can I possibly vacuum when I must know what will happen next? The flip side to this is that it's interfering with my knitting time. I just finished book #2, Death du Jour, and I don't have any more (of hers to read). I will stay out of the Book Nook until Saturday, when I'll have some more books to turn in for credit. I went to our storage unit today and brought home a Rubbermaid container filled with books. So far there are only 4 I want to trade in. I checked on Amazon, and all of them have a lot of copies for sale starting at $.01.

I've also got to find a vet who will work on feral cats. One of Chubby's cheeks looks swollen today. He looks like Pixel did when she tried to eat a bee. His appetite is still quite good, so I know he's not in too bad of shape. Over the years I've instituted a wait and see policy for some pet issues, mainly because I've rushed to the vet and spent a lot of money for things that were very minor. Let's hope that Chubbs has just had a run in with a bug and isn't having an abscess. In the meantime, I'm looking for a feral friendly vet. One of the front desk people at my vet was most vehement that they couldn't help me one of the other times I've called. I'll have to see if I can catch up with one of the women who's been there for a long time so I can get the real answers. Send some positive energy Chubby's way. For the record, Chubby is starting to think that being someone's pet wouldn't be too bad. He comes when I call him, and he also will trot over when he sees me come home.

Scooter got his stitches out today. (Unfortunately I hadn't seen Chubby and his swollen cheek until long after I'd been to the vet.) The vet is very pleased with his recovery from surgery. I asked them to weigh him since his appetite has been better (tuna and liver), and they said he weighed exactly the same as last time. I was hoping the old guy had gained a little since he's been so skinny. He has gotten even pickier and only reluctantly ate the moist catfood I gave him when we got home. He really can't have tuna every day as it's not that good for cats.

Let's see, I haven't covered knitting. Not much going on there since I've been to the Book Nook and brought home Kathy Reichs and Colin Dexter. I did get a some knitting in last night. I'm almost through the third ball of yarn on the prayer shawl I'm doing. I'll have to take and post an updated picture of it.

I think that's all the happenings around here for today.

4 comments:

theshortredhead said...

I've got all the Kathy Reichs books, so if you want to borrow the rest, you're welcome to.

Anonymous said...

HI - I just discovered Bones on TV - and I did rent most of the second season on CD - I haven't gone out to get the books yet - but I imagine they will be wonderful also. I really enjoy the techno weirdness of the TV show and how all the characters interact. See you soon - Hester

theshortredhead said...

I read the books prior to the show, and they're great, though they do tend to be more intense than the show.

Eve said...

Thanks for the offer regarding the books. My mom and I are trading them back and forth, so I'll have to see which ones we're missing between the two of us.