Friday, January 4, 2008

Good news and bad news

First the good. The relative with the new cancer found out that it's between stage 1 and stage 2. Now it's just a matter of how to go about treating it. An MRI, a visit to the next doctor, and treatment should be underway.

The bad is that the cousin with the liver cancer - well, we'll probably be attending a funeral next week. I have felt like an awful relative because we haven't visited since the diagnosis. While talking to Keith's sister, I found out that she too had been gently discouraged from visiting. Whenever we would call, we would get a response such as maybe in a few weeks. Gina would get the same answer too. From what I can tell, very few relatives were allowed to visit. I'm left with some very mixed feelings. I really like this person, and I would have liked to have seen him again, but now I'm left with only memories of when he was healthy and happy. I am relieved not to have the memories of his being a husk of who he once was.

Well, I've got to run. More later, and finally some knitting content again.

4 comments:

Kim said...

Poor darling! You're just getting hit with stuff left right and center! You're in my thoughts.

Kim said...

Oh, and Alex will let me use the blanket, but only if I mold myself around him. How is it that a cat can weigh ten pounds when awake and thirty pounds when sleeping?

Janice in GA said...

Good deal on the early stage for the first relative.

Bummer on the other. That's hard. But maybe the person wanted it that way.

Me, I'd want at least to say good-bye. :(

Honi said...

you I am not not sure if you knew Marcia Cohen or not.. he was at the wedding... Sunday November 18th.. the following Sunday she died , a Stroke.. I loved her.. my biggest regret was that I did get to see her at the wedding..I saw her husband but never saw her.. She was fighter.. she had been battling lung cancer for sometime now.. I guess it was Godsend in a way.. better her go quickly then keep suffering.. hmm sorry about Keith's cousin.. that is hard.. glad for the other relative that the diagnosis is in its early stages... Steve had all his blood work done today.. that always makes me nervous... everything should be fine though...