Monday, January 28, 2008

Rock 100.5 (not a darn bit of knitting content and some colorful language)

or how my radio got its balls back.

Radio here in Atlanta has been beyond dreadful these past few years. Any slightly decent station lately has been castrated by corporate interests ($$$). And yes, I mean castrated. We've been awash in a sea of soft rock and other crap, and since I'd rather spend money on yarn, I've been listening to CD's when the CD player is behaving.

I just found out a few days ago (told you I barely listen to radio) that yet another station that I used to love was going away. In fact, it had already gone. Bye bye to 99X. You were so wonderful back in the early 90's. You couldn't help the fact that music just got worse, and you were sold to another mega-media conglomerate.

One thing this media monster has done is to bring back a classic rock station of the type that plays Pink Floyd and not constant Hotel California. They've also brought back the Regular Guys with Southside Steve. I know a lot of people don't like them, and I'll admit that I can't always listen to them myself. However, they sure as hell beat the soft rock stations, and I do get awfully tired of listening to various war commentaries on NPR.

So I'm looking forward to being able to hear Led Zeppelin on the way to work in the mornings again. Sure, they'll probably play Stairway to Heaven until I want to scream, but at least it's rock. The real kind. No watered down, re-recorded by imbeciles or muzaked, but belted out by long-haired guitar wielding legends. You know who I'm talking about. Page, Petty, Nugent, Townsend and Richards.

Wait, there is a smidge of yarn news. I ordered the February custom color of Lorna's Laces from Jimmy Beans Wool. The color is S.W.A.K. (Sealed With A Kiss.) It's a scrumptious combination of brown, red and fuschia. I can't wait to knit it up. I'll do photos later. And yes, I am running out of room for sock yarn. Why do you ask?

1 comment:

Yarn or Death said...

Thanks for the tip; I've been in mourning since 99X went away, so I'll check out 100.5. I've been listening to the one CD in my car since last week... suffice it to say, I am now educated in the genre of nerdcore rap. (MC Frontalot)