Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Workin' overtime

I'm off from work today, and I find I'm pondering work in general. You married gals and gals in relationships will know what I'm talking about as I relate some of our conversation over the last 24 hours or so.

Keith, "We need to figure out what we're going to have for dinner the next few days."

Keith, "Are you planning to do any laundry tomorrow?"

Keith, "I need a black dress shirt for that meeting tomorrow, and I don't think the one I have fits me. I guess I'll go out after work tomorrow night and get one."

Gals, we all know how these things above translate, and some aren't a bit subtle. I bring this up because with the changes going on at work, I have the opportunity to work more days if I would like. I almost immediately said that I was fine with working 4 days there. At the time, what I didn't realize is that 2 of my 3 days off are also work days. In reality, I get 1 day off a week, and sometimes Keith is mad that I just want to lay around and do nothing. That hasn't happened lately as he is finally allowing himself to laze around, and he's found that it's actually quite good for you to take a break.

So, how did I spend my day off? Let's see, laundry, grocery shopping, looking for a black dress shirt, running to Home Depot to replace an oddly shaped halogen bulb, and more in that vein. What happens on my next day off? Well, someone has to take Scooter to the vet for bloodwork. Thank goodness that won't take all day, because someone has to do some vacuuming, mopping and probably more laundry.

I think I will continue to only work those 4 days. At least when I'm here doing laundry, dishes, mopping and cooking, if I see a pile of cats snoozing in the bed, I can dive in between them all and take a quick nap. That's not something I can do at a job.

As for Scooter, Keith said last night that Scooter doesn't seem happy anymore. Poor kitty has had a rough year with losing his mom and his aunt. I know our critters can get depressed, and I think he also has some arthritis because I noticed he isn't holding his tail up high a whole lot lately. I get to take him to my favorite vet this week, and she won't look at me funny when I say he just doesn't seem happy anymore, and what can we do to cheer him up? And yes, for most of today I've left the heating pad on (only while I've been home) in the bed so his little ol' self can stay toasty warm. Keith is a sucker for Scooter too, and will often leave the heating pad on while he's at home.

Anyway, I've got more laundry to do before I get to knit tonight. As the dryer alarm is going off, I'd better get to it before I have to add ironing to my to do list.

No comments: